[gradebook2-dev] hello/introduction and a couple Sakai/Gradebook2 questions

Thomas Amsler tpamsler at ucdavis.edu
Thu Jan 13 13:39:27 PST 2011

Brian,

Welcome to the Sakai community. Please see my inline comments bellow:

Here are some Gradebook2 resources:

JIRA:
https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/GRBK

Confluence:
https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/x/LACo

> I just recently joined the Virginia Tech team responsible for our Sakai
> implementation (Scholar is our local name for the system).
> So, I’m learning the ropes and figuring out how to navigate Sakai
> pages/wikis/listservs/JIRAs etc.
> As you are aware, we run Gradebook 2 here – currently version 1.2.
>
> A few questions:
> 1)      What is the best way to get a list of new features in new releases?
> For example, if I want to know the major functional improvement in 1.3 vs.
> 1.2, where is the best place to look.  This will help me sell the upgrade
> internally.

The best way to figure out what is in a specific gradebook2 release is
to search for target version(s). If you choose to upgrade from v1.2.0
to v1.3.1, you could list the associated JIRAs using JIRA Query
Language (JQL):

project = GRBK AND ("Target Version" = "1.3.0" OR "Target Version" = "1.3.1")

Our recommendation is to wait for v1.4.0, which we are planning on
releasing and using here at UC Davis at the end of February. Do NOT
use v1.3.0 because it contains a blocker bug that can cause bad grades
(GRBK-721). If you cannot wait for v1.4.0, use at least v1.3.1.

> 2)      If I had a list of ideas for functional enhancements, what’s you’re
> preferred way for me to let you and others know about these.  Do I just
> create JIRAs with them?

Please use the gradebook2 JIRA
space(https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/GRBK) to file any bugs and
or feature requests.

> I know these questions are basic, but I’m a fast learner.

Please ask as many questions as you like we will try to do our best to
answer them in a timely manner.

Best,
-- Thomas