[Contrib: Evaluation System] data in EvalSys - best practices

Jim Eng jimeng at umich.edu
Wed Sep 12 06:28:17 PDT 2012

Hi Rebecca,

At Michigan, the evalsys response data is harvested and imported into an external system.  All analysis and reporting is done through the external system.  As soon as possible after we verify that the data was harvested without error, we delete and purge all evalsys data for the semester from our sakai instance (CTools) using SQL scripts.  I believe that we'd need to delay the removal of data if reporting was being done through evalsys, but removing the data from the sakai's database tables severs the connection between a sakai user and a specific eval response, ensuring protection the identity of the evaluator. For that reason, we purge all backups of those tables as well as the tables themselves at that point.

The SQL scripts need to be written to avoid constraint violations and to avoid deleting data about evals that are not yet completed (if any).  I'm not able to share the scripts since I am no longer involved in that process, but you might contact Beth Kirschner if you'd like a copy of Michigan's scripts.

Jim