[Contrib: Evaluation System] JS compression moved to an optional profile

Aaron Zeckoski azeckoski at unicon.net
Thu Jan 12 14:48:50 PST 2012

Hi all,
Javascript compression was added awhile ago so that it happens by
default during the build. This is fine for production but it makes
debugging and testing extremely difficult as the JS is unreadable in
the compressed state. I have switched the compression to be part of a
profile so that it can be run when people are deploying the tool in
production but can be ignored while development and testing are going
on.

On a related note, the compressor fails to compress some of the
libraries (jquery for example) so they should probably be excluded or
only included as minified versions. I'll leave this as an exercise for
those who are using the compressed JS.

I put it in a profile called compressJS for now but maybe this should
be a "prod" or "live" profile? I am open to suggestions on naming.

Anyone expecting the compression to happen will just need to add
-PcompressJS to their build (or whatever name that folks decide is
appropriate) along with any other profiles they are triggering (like
the Sakai version specific ones).

-AZ