[Contrib: Evaluation System] How do you all feel about the organization of the administration page?

Jim Eng jimeng at umich.edu
Fri Feb 10 06:01:40 PST 2012

Hi Daphne,

The admin pages are pretty hard to use, even when you know what you are looking for.  But they have been a low priority for work because, as you mentioned, they are not actually used very often in practice.  Or at least that's what I have heard since I've been involved in evalsys.

It's probably obvious that these pages have grown organically.  Each time some new features or capabilities are added, new settings are added to the admin pages to control them. The surprising thing is that though evalsys is pretty mature now, the admin pages continue to grow.  Soon they will devour a small city just to sustain themselves.

I mention the continuing growth with this in mind: If people work on reorganizing these pages, it should be done with future growth in mind, so new settings don't just plopped down at the bottom the main page.

I think your idea of a card game to make decisions sounds about right.  :-)  And I think you are correct in saying that a well-conceived reorganization could be implemented without a lot of effort on the technical side.  But be careful that Berkeley is not the city that gets devoured. :-)

Jim