[Contrib: Evaluation System] Design review Wednesday August 22 @ 9:00 am pacific

Daphne Ogle daphne at media.berkeley.edu
Wed Aug 22 14:17:37 PDT 2012

Hey Adam -

Thanks so much for your thoughtful feedback.  Comments in-line.  Hope they are helpful!  Also copying the evaluation list so they are in the loop.

Aaron - can you confirm some of my comments?  I've asked for confirmation when I felt I needed it.  Thanks!

-Daphne

On Aug 14, 2012, at 3:24 AM, Adam Marshall wrote:

> Some comments, feel free to circulate.
>
> 1  Dashboard imps
>
> Dashboard
>
> a/ In the reports available column, isn’t the only report going to be ‘view results’ (assuming that the option for respondents to see results has been set)? If so why not say “View results” instead of ‘view report’?
Agreed.  We ended up staying with reports to minimize international translation complications but Aaron mentioned this morning (on design review) that we could change the English version.  I'll send a follow-up email to see if we can get agreement to change it.

> My Evaluations
>
> a/ I guess we’d like the EN GB properties file to keep the old terminology “surveys awaiting release”, “completed surveys” etc
We didn't change the terminology for those so I believe the EN GB files won't be affected.  Aaron - can you confirm?

> b/ what’s the difference between permalink and direct URL?
They are the same.  The fact that both are there is just a copy & past artifact.  We'd like to see direct URL used.  It's currently permalink. I'll include this in my follow-up email.

> c/ surveys can have extension dates, I know these aren’t currently displayed but they could be
Can you say more?  Does the extension just extend the due date?  Where would you like to see it?

> d/ I like the combine Actions list of links
>
> e/ in active surveys you could say ‘send reminder’ rather than ‘send email’
Yes, the column used be named send reminder.  What happens when you click the link is a blank email opens to all participants of the Eval group.  So we thought using reminder restricted the action in ways that aren't true.  We used it to send surveys to students asking for feedback on our pilot for instance.   It might also cause confusion with the actual reminder email template that automatically goes out.  That said, I'm pretty sure the label can be changed in properties.

> f/ does the ‘view report’ take you to a page listing the various reports: PDF, excel export, who took the survey? Shouldn’t it be ‘View reports’ (plural)
Good point.  If we don't change it to View results, I'll put in a jira to make this correction.

> e/ what happens with public surveys where a percentage cannot be calculated for the response rate column.
I'm not familiar with the public survey functionality.  Can you describe it?  What happens now since that column already exists?

> g/ How do survey categories get displayed? (https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/EVALSYS-1104) – we don’t use them but some may
Ah - interesting.  I didn't even realize they existed.  Since we don't use them at Berkeley, I assume they'll just display in the same way they do now.  Aaron - can you confirm?

> h/ I wondered whether you have considered adding pagination to the My surveys page. Once there’s 200+(?) surveys, the page takes ages to load for an admin user. (There’s a patch that we use at https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/EVALSYS-1133 )
It isn't in our current requirements list but then we just started using it so we haven't see the large number of surveys. It's something we should keep in mind for future iterations

> i/ Is there any kind of mouse-over / hover text in the Assigned column where it says for example ‘8 Groups ‘
There isn't but I think we could add that in pretty easily.  What should it say?  Something like "View evaluation assignments"?  The name of the page you end up on is Evaluation assignments.  I don't think it's a great descriptor but not coming up with a better one right now.

> j/ In the active evaluations table, I assume it is a mistake that the report is available on June 23rd as the survey wont be closed by then.
Correct.  Copy & pasting :)

> k/ wont the dates column be a bit wide if the full names of months are used, currently we have 3 letter month abbreviations? Space could be saved be using shorted names.
I don't think we've changed the display of the months so if it is currently showing 3 letters than it should stay the same. Aaron - can you confirm?

> l/ there is no point ‘l’!
>
> 3 Student config
>
> a/ I’m still slightly confused about “students may edit responses up to the due date” and “Save and complete later” – they seem to do the same thing. Is it the student experience that bothers you, ie, the student want to see a save (not submit) button? If so then why not just replace the submit button with one saying ‘Save’?
Yes it is the student experience.  We feel it's important to have options for the intended action of the students.  So we want them to explicitly be able to say "I want to save my work but not submit it yet" & "I'm ready to submit it".

So they are very close but there are subtle differences.

> b/ what happens if you fill in answers, then save then go back the next days and cancel? Do the previous day’s responses get removed?
No.  The cancel is specific to the session.

> 4 Scale preview
>
> Here’s a few issues we have found which are not related to your mock up but I thought
>
> a/ Have you found a way to internationalise the “Add Scale Point” button text?
We didn't look at this.  We are really focused on Berkeley's needs while being good community members by not breaking existing functionality.  Since we don't translate we didn't think about that aspect.

> b/ You get a really unhelpful error message if you use more than 255 characters in a scale point option “Sorry something went wrong”, it should mention the character limit.
Ah - we haven't found that.  This is probably not high on our list since only our internal team deals with the scales.  Perhaps create a jira?

> c/ Some of the colouring is wrong when the scale points are rendered. Eg, the colours are missing with very low to very high questions. Here’s another:
>
> <image002.jpg>
> <image004.png><image004.png>
We don't actually use the colored scales.

> d/ If you set up a group of questions 5pt rating scale and opt for ideal colouring then there's a broken image.
Since we don't use colored scales this isn't a concern for us.  Sorry.

daphne at media.berkeley.edu