[Contrib: Evaluation System] Proposed changes to make hierarchy more useable

Nicola Monat-Jacobs nicola at longsight.com
Mon Oct 24 16:45:22 PDT 2011

There are two outstanding issues with the hierarchy interface that I want to
run by everyone.

https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/EVALSYS-967

This has been an annoyance for a while - it means that you can only assign a
course site (or 'evalgroup' as it is in know in evalsys) to a position in
the hierarchy if the 'admin' user is enrolled in that course site. This
means that admin has to be enrolled in all your course sites if you want to
use hierarchy.

https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/EVALSYS-1146

Additionally, if you are successful in assigning your nodes through some
other means, those assignments won't always show in the GUI to the current
user (confusing! user wants to be sure eval will go to the courses they
think it will). Even if we just swapped admin for currentUser (to address
EVALSYS-967 above) the assigned courses won't show if the current user isn't
enrolled in them.

So, the proposed solution for EVALSYS-967 addresses both these solutions.
Instead of looking up all the sites 'admin' is enrolled in, and then finding
out which of those are or are not assigned to this node, we go
a conceptually simpler route.

The proposed patch looks up and shows the sites currently assigned to this
node (regardless of if the current user, or admin, is enrolled in them).
Then, it looks up and shows the courses that the current user (not admin) is
enrolled in and offers those up to be added to the current node.

A more robust solution would allow the user to have some sort of lookup
interface that would allow them to search for any course in the system, but
I think this is a good interim measure to allow folks to actually use this
feature.

Thoughts?

- Nicola