[Contrib: Evaluation System] EVALSYS-916 and EVALSYS-1055

Jim Eng jimeng at umich.edu
Thu Jan 6 09:21:39 PST 2011

Hi Rick,

I just noticed EVALSYS-916 this morning when you uploaded screenshots.  It seems to be related to EVALSYS-1055.  Do you agree?

I noticed a comment about it taking UMD eight hours to process notifications.  That sounds familiar.

If I understand the history, Dick Ellis from Michigan implemented the email notification code.  For a number of reasons, he reimplemented that capability in a different way at a later time with additional features, but that code is in the CTools branch and not available in trunk.  I think the major reason for that later work was because the original did not perform well.  The new version sends the notifications in much less time.

I am tasked with getting that code merged back to trunk from the CTools branch.  But it now seems like I might clash with your work on EVALSYS-916.  I'm wondering if we can work together on this to get the right set of features for everyone in trunk.

If your changes still rely on the old implementation of email notifications, it might help performance to have the newer version Dick worked on.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks.

Jim