[Contrib: Evaluation System] provider not being called

Charles Hedrick hedrick at rutgers.edu
Wed Sep 29 06:48:15 PDT 2010

We're going to do further testing to see whether we have a problem. I'm the performance guy, but I'm not an expert on this particular application. I saw things missing that I expected to see, but this may just have been due to the state those particular assessments were in. Now that I know what's going on, we can fix any problems with the providers.

However there are two things that I consider disabling. We've probably going to go back to 1.2 for this semester and work on 1.3 with a target of next semester:

* We consider the use of snapshots as a problem. I see your issue, but from the user point of view it's broken the application. If you continue using a snapshot we're going to need a way to update it.

* I'm bothered by the extreme slowness of "my surveys." It looks like the code that deals with the snapshot is significantly slower than our provider code. We've haven't done enough testing to know whether that page is the only place with this problem.

I can fix both of these things locally, but I'd rather not do it with only 3 weeks left until we need to start using evaluations. I'd also like to agree on a design with others in the community if possible. My suggestions are:

* If possible return to using the providers.
* If this isn't possible, provide a way to do a resync. Although we'd do it in the early morning, performance would still be a concern.
* If I have to fix "my surveys" I'll probably do it by rewriting the database access in the main loop. My first thought is to bypass genericDAO and hibernate, but it may be that a more specific query through hibernate would work. I suspect the whole loop could be done with a single query, which would probably make the hibernate overhead insignificant (assuming it can be made to issue the right query).