[Contrib: Evaluation System] provider not being called

Aaron Watters aaron.watters at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 06:21:10 PDT 2010

Hi Richard,

I work with Chuck at Rutgers.  I will try to answer your questions and Chuck
can
correct me if he feels the need.

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 4:20 PM, Richard C. Moyer II <rmoyer at umd.edu> wrote:

> Charles,
>
>        Here at Maryland we also use the eval group provider, but
> unfortunately, I cannot reproduce your error. Currently I'm in the middle of
> testing evaluation trunk, revision 70243, against our config and providers
> with the hope of migrating to sakai 2.7.
>
>        To help trouble shoot your situation, we'll need a little more
> details.
>
> 1. 'We're not seeing people in our evaluations' - are you signing on as a
> student and there are no evaluations or are signing on as an instructor or
> admin?

We tried both.  The students see no evaluations and the admins see 0
students in the evaluations.

2. 'Our evaluations come entirely from the Rutgers provider.' - are you
> building your evaluations outside of the sakai evaluation tool and importing
> in or are you building the evaluation using this tool and your groups,
> students, instructors, and TA come from your provider?

We import the evaluation data directly into the database.

> 3. 'old code' do you have a date or revision number?
>
> I believe it was the 1.2 stable release.

> 4. 'new code' do you have a date or revision number?

1.3 RC 2.

> 5. what are the results from the Test EvalGroupProvider from the
> Administrate screen? As an admin, student & groupId.
> Are you getting  back Rutger's IDs or sakai IDs?

"Unexpected error" with the following (abbreviated) traceback in
catalina.out

2010-09-28 09:05:03,200 WARN (RenderHandlerBracketer.java:107) - <Exception
rendering view: >
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Cannot add leaf component with ID
summary-link of class uk.org.ponder.rsf.components.UIInternalLink as a child
of component with ID   viewroot   of class uk.org.ponder.rsf.view.ViewRoot
since it would displace an existing child of the same name.
   Please remove the existing component first.
        at
uk.org.ponder.rsf.components.UIContainer.addComponent(UIContainer.java:142)
        at
uk.org.ponder.rsf.components.UIInternalLink.make(UIInternalLink.java:40)
        at
org.sakaiproject.evaluation.tool.producers.AdminTestEGProviderProducer.fillComponents(AdminTestEGProviderProducer.java:133)
        at
uk.org.ponder.rsf.view.support.ViewCollector.fillComponents(ViewCollector.java:56)....

> 6. are you using a UserDirectoryProvider?

It doesn't look like it.  Should we be?
The Rutgers interface implements the following signature

public class RutgersEvalGroupsProvider implements
org.sakaiproject.evaluation.providers.EvalGroupsProvider {...}

Thanks for your attention.  -- Aaron Watters (aaron at rutgers.edu)