[Contrib: Evaluation System] External Evaluation Group Providers

Richard C. Moyer II rmoyer at umd.edu
Fri May 21 07:28:18 PDT 2010

George,

            The full implementation of EvalGroupsProviders is up to you.

            At UMD we've been using this for 4 years and we don't import anything into sakai or evaluations, which is the idea of providers.

            We have an external program which determines the groups and users which are to be evaluated.  We've done a few different ways of pulling this data.  One example was to pull from our SIS system and load into memory each time sakai started. This works ok for 500 groups but not 5000.
So we now extract into our own set of database tables.  This provides us with a snap shot of the groups and users which meet our selection criteria.

            One of these tables store the group information which is basically the group id and description. This is reference by getGroupByGroupId(String groupId)

            The other table stores userid, their groups and permissions, where permission indicate whether they are a student, instructor, or TA.

            Look at the methods and based on queries of this data, you can return the required information.

            I've put this code in the evaluation folder of the providers project.

            Another consideration for this is where are you storing user information, and authentication.  We've implemented the JLDAP provider to query our directory for this.  The userid in these tables match our directory.

            However, you will probably need to use the User getEid to translate the sakai user to your user.  The reason for this is when an evaluation is created, a snap shot of the data from the providers is stored in the various evaluation tables.  When this occurs, the sakai-id-map table creates sakai user ids for new userid.  The sakai id is stored throughout the various evaluation tables and is passed into these methods, therefore you'll need to use getEid to get your id.

            When developing your implementation of EvalGroupProviders, be sure and use the Test EvalGroupProvider screen off Administrate.

Hope this helps,
Rick