[Contrib: Evaluation System] External Evaluation Group Providers

Ellis, Richard rwellis at umich.edu
Thu May 20 09:55:24 PDT 2010

George,

At U-M, a service called UMIAC provides information about all students and instructors. We wanted to give course evaluations for all courses, but we weren't sure all courses had course sites. Therefore, we chose to get evaluation group membership from UMIAC rather than from course sites.  We did that by implementing the EvalGroupsProvider API using calls to UMAIC.  You can take a look at the code in svn here:

/msub/umich.edu/ctools/ctools-providers/trunk/component/impl/src/bundle/beans/eval-beans.xml

https://source.sakaiproject.org/svn/msub/umich.edu/ctools/ctools-providers/trunk/component/impl/src/evaluation/org/sakaiproject/component/legacy/realm/

EvalGroupsProviderUnivOfMichImpl implements EvalGroupsProvider

There are three ways to provide evaluation groups: as ad hoc groups, as site groups, and using an implementation of the EvalGroupsProvider, which gets groups from another source, such as UMIAC.  Do you have preexisting group data you'd like to use with course evaluations?

Dick Ellis