[Contrib: Evaluation System] Question about editing copied questions

Adam Marshall adam.marshall at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Thu Feb 4 08:15:57 PST 2010

We had this query from one of our users:

I copied a questionnaire template (A) and then tried to change the wording one of the questions on the *copied questionnaire* (copy of A). Then I discovered that the wording had also changed in both the original questionnaire template (A) and in the question bank.

I was expecting it to work like this:

* The original wording remains on Questionnaire Template 'A'
* The original wording remains on in the question bank
* new wording appears on Questionnaire Template 'Copy of A'

My comment on this would be

If all questions on a questionnaire MUST be in a question bank, then the above behaviour is logically correct, however, I think its very confusing.

Either

1/ don't allow editing of a question on a questionnaire template, or

2/ as soon as a question is edited on a template, pop-up a dialog box which requires the user to select one of two options

"You are editing a question. Do you

A/ want these changes to be reflected in the question bank (and on all other templates (possibly being used by other people) that also include this question), or

B/ automatically add the newly modified question to the question bank whilst leaving the original question in tact."

A/ would be good for on-the-spot spelling corrects or the like, B/ would allow easy addition of questions 'in-situ'

Adam