[Contrib: Evaluation System] Community Call for Sakai EVALSYS information session

Aaron Zeckoski aaronz at vt.edu
Thu May 7 10:37:49 PDT 2009

I definitely would like to know about any performance issues (in both
systems) so I will try to be available as much as possible. I put
times in but unfortunately I will be at a conference from next
thursday through the end of the following week so the timing is not
great for me.
My apologies. If it is a problem then I can just read up on the notes.
-AZ

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 4:46 PM, Sean DeMonner <demonner at umich.edu> wrote:
> All,
> As you may have heard, the University of Michigan suffered significant
> performance problems during our recent Winter 09 end-of-term evaluation
> period. Unfortunately, we eventually had to discontinue evaluation data
> collection in order to ensure availability of CTools (our Sakai instance)
> during finals week.
> We have made substantial progress in reviewing logs, operational timelines,
> system configuration settings, and some aspects of the code in the last
> couple of weeks. We have found a number of areas in CTools generally that
> can be improved from a performance perspective, and we have also found a few
> places in the EVALSYS tool itself that may need attention (some of these are
> U-M customizations and some are in EVALSYS trunk).
>
> I would like to convene a meeting of the EVALSYS community to review our
> findings to date and to solicit input on possible issues and proposed
> changes.
> Here is a draft agenda:
> 1. Background
> - What happened at U-M
> 2. Brief overview of initial findings
> - Sakai/CTools general issues; list of suspects
> - Possible EVALSYS issues
> - U-M customizations
> - Trunk code
>
> 3. Next Steps
> I have set up a Doodle meeting request here to gather availability responses
> from participants:
> http://www.doodle.com/c3u9mmwq5fe8bwvy
> Please indicate your availability to participate in a conference call in the
> near future. We are particularly interested in hearing from Aaron Z, and
> reps from other institutions running EVALSYS in Production.
> Thanks,
>
> SMD.

Aaron Zeckoski (aaronz at vt.edu)
Senior Research Engineer - CARET - Cambridge University
[http://bugs.sakaiproject.org/confluence/display/~aaronz/]
Sakai Fellow - [http://aaronz-sakai.blogspot.com/]