[cle-release-team] Sakai Trunk in Transition

Kirschner, Beth bkirschn at umich.edu
Wed Feb 12 14:21:28 PST 2014

Here's the sorry state of affairs:

1. svn dump ran into some problems with repos which had moved (external-calendaring-service and hierarchy), but I was able to work around the problem with the following commands:

svndumpfilter include roster2 --drop-empty-revs --renumber-revs --preserve-revprops < ./svn-contrib.dump > ./roster2.dump
svndumpfilter include hierarchy "/caret/hierarchy" --drop-empty-revs --renumber-revs --preserve-revprops < ./svn-contrib.dump > ./hierarchy.dump
svndumpfilter include delegatedaccess --drop-empty-revs --renumber-revs --preserve-revprops < ./svn-contrib.dump > ./delegatedaccess.dump
svndumpfilter include signup --drop-empty-revs --renumber-revs --preserve-revprops < ./svn-contrib.dump > ./signup.dump
svndumpfilter include external-calendaring-service "/swinsburg/external-calendaring-service"  --drop-empty-revs --renumber-revs --preserve-revprops < ./svn-contrib.dump > ./external-calendaring-service.dump

2. load of roster2 had no errors, and roster2 is now available
$ svnadmin load  /usr/local/svn/repositories/svn  < /home/bkirschner/svn-dump/roster2.dump

3. load of external-calendaring-service failed with the following error:
$ svnadmin load  /usr/local/svn/repositories/svn  < /home/bkirschner/svn-dump/external-calendaring-service.dump
<<< Started new transaction, based on original revision 33836
svnadmin: E160013: File not found: transaction '202598-4ery', path 'swinsburg/external-calendaring-service'
     * adding path : swinsburg/external-calendaring-service …

This also left approximately 34087   revisions with comments like this:

   r202588 | (no author) | 2007-11-13 14:16:18 -0500 (Tue, 13 Nov 2007) | 1 line
   This is an empty revision for padding.

This also left the svn repo in a state that no one can commit. I was working with Greg Thomas, since he has sudo permission on the source.sakaiproject.org server and I don't (sudo is required since the repository is owned by the apache user).

What I'd like to do, if possible:

a) Resolve commit problem
b) Remove empty revisions, but this might not be possible. Empty revisions were removed during the svndumpfilter process, but apparently added as placeholders during the failed load.
c) Find how to load the two repos (external-calendaring-service and hierarchy) that were moved while in contrib

I guess no good deed goes unpunished. Ideas welcome. I'll continue digging.

- Beth