[cle-release-team] [WG: Sakai QA] Evaluations QA Server: qa5-us.sakaiproject.org

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Wed May 8 10:06:04 PDT 2013

Hi Beth, the RC releases are a different process than the actual releases.
This was described to the release team and TCC back in January in this
email.

http://collab.sakaiproject.org/pipermail/cle-release-team/2013-January/001338.html

The RC releases just are a pack-demo build from sakai-2.9.x-all at some
particular revision. The real releases actually tag and release all
artifacts individually. The actual release process can take 4-8 hours to
process. It is an overnight process because of the slow turnaround on
artifact publishing, building, uploading through Sonatype and release. The
RC can be generated in under an hour. Even if this time wasn't volunteered,
it's better to make this as efficient as possible since the only people
(who should be) running it are the QA server admins.

There won't be any individual tool tags for the RC because the process that
does this is the maven release plugin (for the indies) which I don't run
because of that aforementioned time consumption. And it doesn't make sense
to tag the core without the indies What I was interested in doing was
putting hard coded revisions into an external like

assignments -r122313
https://source.sakaiproject.org/svn/assignment/branches/assignment-2.9.x/

So someone could actually check this out if they wanted a copy of the
source at that revision. Dave contributed this script.

The final 2.9.2 release will have tags for indie and core as usual.

This is something Steve has been talking about on the lists, if we got rid
of more (all?) of the indies it wouldn't be such a big deal to take care of
this, but as it stands now, with the varying versions and specific release
order it can't be done super easy and be correct.