[cle-release-team] [sakai2-tcc] CLE 2.9.4 vs CLE 2.10 effort

Noah Botimer botimer at umich.edu
Fri Aug 30 08:13:11 PDT 2013

Yes. I made a note for myself to respond today -- "aren't these the same thing?" So, I'm glad people have mentioned that.

The point about fixes after big restructuring is well taken but, in general, any work on 2.9.x should happen in trunk first and be merged. I think it's a red herring to focus on whether developers focus on one or the other. It's really more about coordination and QA energy. If there is something truly wicked brewing, perhaps it should be in a branch and kept close to trunk for now and QA'd a bit before merge to trunk. (P.S., Git makes this a lot easier -- as evidenced by KNL-515.)

My feeling is that things should be getting QA when they get merged to 2.9.x, ASAP, regardless of the timing of releases.

If there is a fix that someone (developer, implementor, QA) thinks is pressing for 2.9.x, merge it and QA it. Waiting for release ramp-down is deficit spending and burns every time. Test data points spread out over time are easier to integrate than a huge lump of pass/fails in "release candidate" for something that is supposed to be stable.

Thanks,
-Noah