[cle-release-team] CLE 2.9.4 vs CLE 2.10 effort

Neal Caidin neal.caidin at apereo.org
Thu Aug 29 10:22:46 PDT 2013

Hi All,

We just had an initial ice breaker on the CLE release team call about whether to focus on a 2.9.4 or put our energies into a 2.10 release (likely to be renamed, but probably not to Sakai "Chocolate Pudding" - though that is one of the few things I've said recently that my 12 year old thinks is a cool idea. most of dad's ideas are decidedly not cool :-) ).

There were several folks who expressed that they prefer to focus on the 2.10 release and nobody on the call who was pushing for a 2.9.4 release, but this is just a preliminary discussion to take the temperature of the group.

A couple of points that were made:

* TCC said at Open Apereo that now would be the time to focus on 2.10 - https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/TCC/TCC+Project+Coordination+Meetings+at+2013+Conference
* Assertion that for most institutions, the earliest for a new 2.9.x release would be December/ January
* Instead of a 2.9.4 release, could we identify and recommended fixes for 2.9.x instead of creating a tagged release, so we still address critical issues, but minimize effort on QA and elminate need for the Release activities.

Requested Action for CLE and TCC:

* Over the next week, please look in Jira and identify issues that look potentially important to get into a 2.9.4/2.9.x .  We can review these Jiras to assess the best 2.9.x strategy. You can send the issues to me or post on the Etherpad for the next CLE release team meeting - http://etherpad.ctools.org/rmmt-2013-09-05

Questions:
* If we start focusing on 2.10 , what is our communications plan to highlight the important planned feature improvements (aka "getting the Provost's attention")?
* What would be the first milestone for 2.10? An Alpha release?
* By when do we need to decide on the non-Chocolate pudding name for the release? I'm happy to facilitate a name brainstorming. Maybe we should have a contest for fun? I presume the final decision is up to the TCC/PMC?
* Community Contributions - how do we encourage community contributions to the release? Sign up tool? iSyllabus? Others?

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Neal

Neal Caidin