[cle-release-team] i18n locales defaults handling

Aaron Zeckoski azeckoski at unicon.net
Thu Apr 4 06:13:00 PDT 2013

On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 9:07 AM, Beth Kirschner <bkirschn at umich.edu> wrote:
> I didn't realize we were moving the definition of locales out of sakai.properties and into the kernel. I worry that this will make adding new translations to Sakai even more difficult that it currently is. I think that adding new translations is not "rare", but it will be with this change :-(
> Now the only way a language can be added is through a kernel change, where it used to be through a sakai.properties change.

I think we have different definitions of rare but as I suggested, give
the i18n people commit to that file and job done.

> It looks like we've also lost the support for the "locales.more" sakai property, which was greatly valued by the i18n community when testing out new translations. I think that loading the locales in one place is fine, but requiring a kernel change is very bad.

That is incorrect and please ask rather than assuming if you are not
sure. In fact, locales.more was previously not consistently supported
in the different parts of the code and now it is is.

-AZ