[cle-release-team] [Building Sakai] 2.9.0 Realm/cache issue

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Tue Oct 16 07:19:00 PDT 2012

Though it feels like the default would be *better* being overflow=false,
then selectively turning on the ones you know are safe to overflow.All of
them apparently aren't without moving more stuff in shared or caching
something different than what's currently being cached.

For some of those "larger" ones you mention, we also talked about that on
the list that while the default works for demo or installations of a few
hundred, people who run 1000+ users probably want to increase a few of the
caches.

Specifically these all go above the "10000" default, but increasing them
means you also have to have a bigger heap, which might not be what users of
a demo or testing/dev instance expect. I'd generally prefer the memory
count for most of these being increased (as for authz cache the size of the
objects was only 2MB per 10K elements) rather than overflowing to disk at
all.

(Caches that are too low by default, defaults on 2.9 rc01 in parenthesis)
memory.org.sakaiproject.user.api.UserDirectoryService.callCache - (20000,
false) <-- Not sure why this is 20000, but possibly low. Does callCache
ovelap with the other UDS cache?
org.hibernate.cache.StandardQueryCache (10000, overflow false)  <-- Not
sure about this one, but seems low
org.sakaiproject.authz.api.SecurityService.cache (10000, overflow false)
<-- This for sure should be at least 100000
org.sakaiproject.db.BaseDbFlatStorage.SAKAI_SITE_PAGE_PROPERTY (10000,
overflow true) < These 2 should probably be increased and probably safe to
overflow if necessary
org.sakaiproject.db.BaseDbFlatStorage.SAKAI_SITE_PROPERTY (10000, overflow
true)
org.sakaiproject.site.impl.SiteCacheImpl.cache (10000, overflow false) <--
This should be increased and it's impl so has to stay in memory
org.sakaiproject.user.api.UserDirectoryService (100000, overflow false) <--
This one is fine