[cle-release-team] Tech requirements for 2.9.0 release

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Mon Oct 8 08:59:55 PDT 2012

In pack demo there is an ant script that does a regexp replace on the
catalina.properties. However this also downloads the tomcat so it knows it
exists. For the binary and source, you have to know to significantly modify
the JAVA_OPTS (and CATALINA_OPTS)

I was never a super fan of downloading, just in-case they change other
stuff in this file, then we'd be have to always make sure to keep it
up-to-date and somehow working with all versions of tomcat. Though if you
have any good ideas go for it? It seems like the best solution would have
been just to modify the assemblies and deployment to have it deploy all
libs to "${catalina.base}/lib" which is already defined, though if you
didn't do a split setup (which I don't think is documented yet) then all of
Sakai libs would be mixed up with Apache libs. [1] We're really just
overwhelmed right now trying to get 2.9 out as-is. :)

[1]
http://old.nabble.com/-Building-Sakai--Sakai-directory-layout-for-Tomcat-7-td34174210.html

https://source.sakaiproject.org/svn/pack/trunk/pack-demo/build.xml

      <echo message="[INFO] Modify Tomcat catalina.properties for Tomcat 7" />
      <copy file="${basedir}/target/pack/conf/catalina.properties"
        tofile="${basedir}/target/pack/conf/catalina-orig.properties"
          overwrite="true" />

        <!-- Hopefully these won't break for Tomcat 5, but pack-demo
doesn't target Tomcat 5 -->
        <replaceregexp file="${basedir}/target/pack/conf/catalina.properties"
          match="common.loader=(.*)"
          replace="common.loader=${catalina.base}/common/lib/*.jar,\1"
          byline="true"
          />

        <replaceregexp file="${basedir}/target/pack/conf/catalina.properties"
          match="shared.loader=(.*)"
          replace="shared.loader=${catalina.base}/shared/classes,${catalina.base}/shared/lib/*.jar,\1"
          byline="true"
          />