[cle-release-team] Lessons new version

Hedrick Charles hedrick at rutgers.edu
Sun Nov 25 04:18:54 PST 2012

Later today I'm going to put out for testing a version of Lessons that lets you designate student content pages as owned by groups rather than individuals. If you grade a page, the grade goes to every member in the group, and anyone in the group can edit the page.

This is one of the two major features I'm hoping to do for Spring. The other is inline questions. We see regular need for both. (The inline questions depends upon my getting a few weeks from the original developer, which it looks like will probably happen.)

Both of these things are going to require database changes. The group-based student content is probably the more dangerous of the two.

What is your feeling about putting this in 2.9.x? Is there a rule against database changes in dot releases? My concern, as always, is that I'm not going to be able to do very active maintenance of two versions. Once Rutgers moves to a new version, as we will for the Spring, my best testing also moves. So allowing 2.9.x to fall behind has costs. However I would want significant testing before putting any of this in 2.9.x, probably in production at Rutgers. I think that means not 2.9.1, even though it will be ready, though you may have other thoughts.