[cle-release-team] Rationalising the download artifacts

Matthew Buckett matthew.buckett at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jun 22 04:37:00 PDT 2012

On 22 June 2012 02:05, Matthew Jones <matthew at longsight.com> wrote:
> Oh you mean for the demo?
>
> Wouldn't this only be a problem if the zip was created in windows rather
> than unix? I believe zip files created in unix will retain the permissions
> that existed on the files.

Storing permission in the zip file also means the program unzipping
the file needs to understand them, on my Mac it has UnZip 5.52 which
sets the permissions correctly, but jar doesn't.

> So maybe we just need to add filemode of 755. Sure that would make
> *everything* executable, but everything is better than nothing right? Or
> perhaps it's possible to be selective with zipfileset and just make the
> files in bin 755?
> http://ant.apache.org/manual/Types/zipfileset.html

But again it depends on the program performing the extraction.

One option would be to have a self extracting JAR, this way when the
JAR ran it could extract itself, and set permissions if it wanted.

I'd be tempted to stick with both tgz/zip as people from the Unix
world are generally happier to work with .tgz files.

--
  Matthew Buckett
  VLE Developer, LTG, Oxford University Computing Services