[cle-release-team] Reverted 2.9.x indies parent back to 2.9-SNAPSHOT

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Thu Apr 19 18:53:15 PDT 2012

Based on comments from the call this morning, I've reverted the indies
parent back to 2.9-SNAPSHOT.  This commit missed search and webservice and
I'm checking why but other than that which I'll be fixing momentarily,
there aren't any b05 or b03 references.

For those interested I just ran a "for each" script on all of the indies
and did

  mvn versions:update-parent "-DparentVersion=[2.9-SNAPSHOT]"
-DallowSnapshots=true
  mvn versions:commit

and an svn ci on all of those directories as one commit. I've found this is
the easiest way to update the parent version reliably. I'd hope to put this
in to the regular release process as a "post-build" so what will happen is:

mvn versions:update-parent will update the parent to the next version (b06)
mvn release:prepare release:perform will do the release (Takes a few
minutes)
mvn versions:update-parent will revert back

The maven release plugin can't change the master which stinks, but this
process is better than regex replacement, and comparable to XSLT.

(The change)
https://source.sakaiproject.org/viewsvn?view=revision&revision=107424

Based on some discussion at the meeting I'd also like to review the indies,
but ideally I can do that with someone F2F at the conference and fix it
there. I think that indies are a good idea if they are on an active project
or a core library. I also think that having api's released is a good thing,
though not necessarily the impl.

So looking at the list:
https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/REL/Indie+release+order+-+2.9

We should probably both:
1) Push a lot of the projects that are indies back to core
BUT
2) Take the api's of these tools and build, release and version these api's
as indies.

All the tools really all depend (as defined in dependencyManagement) are
kernel, various api's and a the "tools (libraries)" in the level #3 which
change infrequently.
https://source.sakaiproject.org/svn/master/trunk/pom.xml

We need to find a system that makes it easy to people customizing and the
person doing the release (though it is easier . . . It's still somewhat of
a wait for things to happen).