[cle-release-team] [sakai2-tcc] New Build Process

csev csev at umich.edu
Wed Oct 26 11:39:05 PDT 2011

Beth,

I will preface my remarks with the fact that I am proposing ideas that I have no idea if they negatively impact our release process and that I am technically incapable of implementing because they are so complex.   But...   That said, here is a scenario that I think works well.

In a sense, we need several (I will say say three for argument sake) checkout distros.

sakai-small - Suitable for working on a single indie or new tool (replaces cafe) - but does include kernel, portal, resources, site info, admin tools, grade book and a few other tools.  Should be as small as possible and yet allow me to work on Basic LTI or start a brand new tool with nothing else checked out.

sakai-medium - Lots of the common stuff like announcements, calendar, emailarchive, messagecenter, samigo - in particular things that more complex indies (like lessonbuilder or the under-development dashboard) tend to depend on.

sakai-large - The whole enchilada - suitable for grepping.   What is sakai-trunk-all right now.   We would use thing for nightles and as the seed for the release process and QA testing.   This can also be used for quick setup of demo / pilot servers that want to follow "trunk" of all the projects.

In a sense, the idea is to take sakai-trunk-all and prune from the dependency branches inwards.  Medium prunes the outermost ring of the dependency tree from large.  Small prunes even further with the understanding that it is OK if a complex indie cannot build on small.   The goal of small is to be as small as possible and no smaller but to contain all the source that is within whatever ring we define.

A fourth distro smaller might be kernel itself - but this might be something that sets a tomcat with kernel plus some httpunit or other tests too.

A fifth larger distro might include some contrib projects - we could call that sakai-tasty-contrib.  Sakai-tasty-contrib could also be used for demo servers.

Thinking out loud.  Back to working on curriculum materials for my day job....

/Chuck