[cle-release-team] [sakai2-tcc] IE9 Compatability in 2.9

Noah Botimer botimer at umich.edu
Thu Oct 13 14:57:25 PDT 2011

I'm not sure that the flag was a stop-gap to a given release. I would say that it was a stop-gap until there was sufficient QA to track down IE8/9-related issues and make the upgrades/fixes.

For now, I think your concern about LTI is valid -- at last check, iframes inherit the parent's compatibility mode.

So, I agree. Although we might elect in the waning moments of the 2.9 cycle to keep the compatibility header, we probably should turn it off to get the most IE9 QA traffic we can. But testers should be aware of and use the browser setting to behave like IE8/IE7 so we can isolate those issues as such.

Please also note that good IE (browser) issue analysis is a pretty difficult skill set to enroll, requiring the right tools and knowledge to make helpful reports. Tickets like "page X of tool Y doesn't work in IE9" are better than nothing, but we really need more detail like whether there were script errors, etc. Just things to think about as folks track these down.

Thanks,
-Noah