[cle-release-team] sakai-2.8.1/2.7.2 and KNL-815

Anthony Whyte arwhyte at umich.edu
Wed Oct 12 06:20:39 PDT 2011

I tagged sakai-2.8.1 yesterday/early this morning per a go ahead from the CLE release lead Sam Ottenhoff coupled with no objections raised on the release team list.  KNL-815 will unfortunately have to be treated as a known issue in 2.8.1 (running kernel-1.2.6).

sakai-2.7.2 is also subject to deadlocks given that preliminary testing of sakai-2.7.1 suggests that earlier versions of the kernel are also subject to the deadlocking issue described in KNL-815.

I recommend that we not block these releases due to KNL-815.  First, the bug appears to have been resident in the kernel for some time, second both releases include 100s of other fixes, including patches to security vulnerabilities that we should push out to the community.  Third, the CLE release team is readjusting to my secondment to OAE and I doubt they will be able to crank out two new maintenance releases very quickly.  Follow up kernel releases, however, are very doable.

Anth
CLE release lead, emeritus