[Announcements] Sakai Foundation Board Elections

Ian Dolphin iandolphin at sakaifoundation.org
Thu Oct 27 01:51:03 PDT 2011

Dear Colleague

During November the Sakai Foundation will be holding elections for two positions on the Foundation Board. I would like to offer my thanks, on behalf of the community, to the two retiring members of the Board, John Norman, of CARET at The University of Cambridge, and Stephen Marquard, of the University of Cape Town, for their leadership and support for Sakai over the years. John and Stephen’s tireless contribution is very much appreciated.

Although anyone may be nominated, or nominate themselves, for one of the two positions, we encourage you to confirm the willingness and interest of anyone you nominate to stand before submitting their names.

Please forward your nomination to Jenn Cummings - jenn at sakaifoundation.org - by midnight on Tuesday November 8th (US Eastern Time).

As determined by the Sakai Foundation by-laws, Board members serve for a maximum of two consecutive terms of three years. The by-laws may be found at

http://sakaiproject.org/foundation-bylaws

Voting will take place between November 21st and 30th, and will be open to Sakai Foundation Institutional Representatives. Further details of candidates, together with details of how to vote will be sent to Institutional Representatives by email in advance of the voting period. We will also notify this list once candidate details are available

This year, because of the planned merger with Jasig, Board members will be elected for the three years stipulated in the by-laws, or until the merger with Jasig takes effect. Subject to approval by a vote of the membership, and processing by the IRS, the merger is planned for the first half of 2012. Should the merger be approved, the membership of the new organization will elect four further Board members to join the eight who were recently announced. I would encourage those who are considering running for election to the Board of the merged organization to consider participating in the current Sakai elections; serving on the Sakai Foundation Board will be an excellent way to prepare.

Current Sakai Foundation Board members, or those elected in the November elections, will be eligible to stand in elections in the new organization. Any terms of office current at the point of merger will not count as consecutive terms for the new organization.

If you have any enquiries or questions about the election process, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best wishes

Ian

--
Ian Dolphin