[Announcements] Sakai Newsletter December 17, 2009

Margaret Wagner mwagner at umich.edu
Sun Dec 20 10:43:04 PST 2009

Sakai Newsletter

December 17, 2009

1.  From the Executive Director

2.  Call for Participation: 2010 Multi-Institutional Survey Initiative
(MISI)

3.  Forming the Sakai Maintenance Team

4.  Invitation: Sakai Learning Capabilities Virtual Meeting

5.  Longsight Welcomes Wellesley College to the Sakai Community

6.  Register Now for Jasig Spring 2010

7.  Sakai Mentioned in Committee for Economic Development Report

8.  Recent Email Discussion Groups

9.  Events

1.  From the Executive Director

The Sakai Board has recently discussed the idea of creating a larger
structure that would include Sakai and other related projects.  We've
seen this happen with DuraSpace (Fedora and DSpace) recently, Kuali
has had this structure from the beginning (with Student, Rice,
Financials, Coeus and now OLE and Ready all being separate projects
under the same umbrella), and Jasig has recently added Bedework to
uPortal and CAS. Sakai did a similar thing with OSP although, unlike
the previous examples, the OSP code and community were brought
directly into the Sakai CLE project rather than being placed as
separate projects under the same non-profit "umbrella." Of course it
isn't surprising that our very own Brad Wheeler previewed this issue
in his "Open Source 2010: Reflections on 2007" EDUCAUSE paper (http://net.educause.edu/ir/library/pdf/ERM0712.pdf