[Announcements] Sakai Newsletter April 16, 2009

Margaret Wagner mwagner at umich.edu
Sun Apr 19 08:35:40 PDT 2009

Sakai Newsletter

April 16, 2009

1.  Sakai Foundation Staff Role Changes

2.  Sakai Conference Update -- Proposal Deadline Extended

3.  Announcing Sakai Fellows Program for 2009

4.  The Fluid Project is Very Pleased to Announce the Release of Fluid
Infusion 1.0!

5.  New Release of OpenSyllabus (version 9.4)

6.  Moving On -- Nathan Pearson

7.  rSmart Welcomes the Naval Postgraduate School to the Sakai Community

8.  Sakai 3 RC 1 -- Development Update

9.  rSmart Webinar:  ePortfolios -- The Impact on Learning and
Assessment

10. New URL -- Sakai Conference Bridges

11. Sakai Security Policy

12. Immediate Part-time/Temporary Opening for Sakai Developer
(Princeton, NJ)

13. Recent Email Group Discussions

14. Events

1. Sakai Foundation Staff Role Changes

As you probably know, we've recently announced changes to the Sakai
development process. We're also making some related changes to the
role the Sakai Foundation plays in how it supports the community and,
as a result, I am making some changes to the staff roles. Two new
positions are being created, one for a Product Manager and a one for
Communications Manager. Between the two, the goal is for the
Foundation to increase communication overall and to play a more
proactive role in developing and executing the product roadmap.

The Sakai Product Manager will lead the new development process for
Sakai and will drive both greater engagement from users and
contributors as well greater roadmap predictability for adopting
institutions. He or she will also serve as the liaison between the
community and the Sakai Product Council. This will be a challenging
and invigorating role since the Product Manager will, in a very real
sense, "own" the Sakai roadmap.

The Sakai Communications Manager will be responsible for both internal
and external communications for the Sakai Foundation. He or she will
own the content for the Sakai website and the overall organization of
our wiki and other communication vehicles for Sakai. This will be a
very hands-on role and will involve everything from developing a
communications strategy to writing lots of content.

These are both open positions and I am looking to fill them by the end
of May or early June. Job descriptions for both of these positions
will be posted "real soon now".  In the meantime feel free to contact
me directly if you are interested.

At the same time, the Project Coordinator position currently held by
Peter Knoop is being eliminated. In the years since the Sakai
Foundation was formed many things have changed and the new positions
allow us to best meet the challenges of the future.  While we are
still working on the exact details of his transition, Peter will
likely be with Sakai through the conference in Boston and afterwards
will be working at the University of Michigan. Those of you who have
worked with Peter over the years know that his knowledge of Sakai is
extremely broad and deep and have appreciated, as I have, his
diligence and exceptional intelligence.  I want to thank him, on
behalf of the Foundation and the community, for his contributions. I
hope he will continue to stay involved in Sakai.

In addition to myself as Executive Director, this leaves the Sakai
Foundation staff with the following full time staff roles:

- Product Manager: Open
- Communication Manager: Open
- Developer Support, Release Management & System Admin: Anthony Whyte
- Quality Assurance Manager: Pete Peterson
- Conference Coordinator & Administration: Mary Miles

These are the "permanent" staff roles for the Sakai Foundation at this
time.  We do, from time to time, bring on part time and/or temporary
assistance to support certain initiatives (Nathan Pearson for the UX
initiative as an example) or to complete special projects.

Please let me know if you have any questions about these changes.

Best regards,

Michael Korcuska
Executive Director, Sakai Foundation
mkorcuska at sakaifoundation.org
phone: +1 510-931-6559
mobile (US): +1 510-599-2586
skype: mkorcuska

2. Sakai Conference Update -- Proposal Deadline Extended

The proposal deadline for the Sakai Conference in Boston has been
extended to April 24.

If you need a letter of invitation from the Sakai Foundation for visa
purposes, please contact Mary Miles (mmiles at umich.edu) as early as
possible.

Remember to register for the conference and make your hotel
reservations before the June 5 cutoff date. You can register or submit
proposals at:
https://educonference.com/sakai/boston/index.php

We look forward to seeing you at the conference in July!

Mary Miles
mmiles at umich.edu

3. Announcing the Sakai Fellows Program for 2009

The nominations for the Sakai Fellows Program for 2009 are now open.
The nomination form is available here: http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/confluence/x/cS0
.  As in the past, you can nominate others or self-nominate. Please
return completed forms to me, knoop at umich.edu, by Monday, 4 May 2009.

The purpose of the Sakai Foundation Fellows Program is to acknowledge,
celebrate and reward the contributions of important Sakai volunteer
contributors. The Sakai Fellows program seeks to foster community
leadership and contribution through recognizing and supporting active
contributors. Contributors bring varied expertise to the community,
including architecture, design and development of technology, best
practices in teaching, learning, research and collaboration, and
coordination of community functions. The purpose of the Sakai
Foundation Fellows Program is to enable outstanding Sakai volunteer
contributors and/or evangelists to continue and extend their
involvement in Sakai by providing material resources to support their
work. The Sakai Fellows program will recognize such contributions and
support the efforts of the Fellows through a modest stipend. The
contributions of the Fellows will be showcased across the boundaries
of the current work/discussion group structures of Sakai, offering a
way for the entire community to be introduced to areas of the project
that they may not follow closely, and providing a view to the public
of the peer leaders' endeavors within the Sakai community.

Highlights of the Sakai Fellows Program:

- Sakai Fellows are not permitted to reapply in the year after they
serve.  (Sakai 2008 Fellows are ineligible for this year's
competition. However, Sakai 2006/2007 Fellows are eligible.)

- There will be a total of 6 Sakai Fellow awards this year.

- Terms will be 1 year and the stipend will be $2500; conference
registration fees will also be waived.

- The terms will start with the summer conference and go through the
next summer's conference.

- Nominations are due by Monday, 4 May 2009.

You can read more about the Sakai Fellows Program, including reports
from past recipients on their activities here:

http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/confluence/x/cS0

Also, thanks to those who have agreed to serve on the Sakai 2009
Fellow Selection Committee:

Clay Fenlason
David Haines
Peter Knoop
Michael Korcuska
Seth Theriault
Anthony Whyte
Beth Kirschner
Stephen Marquard
Randy Newbrough

Peter Knoop
Sakai Project Coordinator
knoop at umich.edu

4. The Fluid Project is Very Pleased to Announce the Release of Fluid
Infusion 1.0!

This release introduces a new data binding framework, a stand-alone
Progress component, three new Fluid Skinning System themes, and a
number of UI Options improvements and refinements. Along with the
usual bug fixes and improvements, we've improved the consistency of
the code base by standardizing APIs, class names, and reorganizing the
source code.

Please see "What's New in This Release", below, for more details.

If you're upgrading from a previous version of Infusion you may want
to refer to the following Upgrade guides:
    http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Upgrading+to+Infusion+1.0

Infusion 1.0 is available for download at:

   http://fluidproject.org/index.php/download-infusion

What's New in This Release?

- New data binding framework: the ChangeApplier
-  Substantial UI Options improvements and refinements, including:
          --- a better user interface: improved layout, easier to use,
increased contrast
          --- new features: table of contents, contrast and line spacing
          --- configurable strategy for persisting user preferences,
using cookies by default
          --- stable API
-  3 new Fluid Skinning System themes with graphics: Coal, Slate, and
Inverted High Contrast
-  New preview component: Progress (previously part of the Uploader
component)
-  Improved documentation
-  Better error handling for the Uploader
-  Up to date ARIA support for the Reorderer
-  Consistency across the board: standardized APIs, class names, and
source code layout
-  Many bug fixes

See the complete list here:
   http://issues.fluidproject.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=10191

What is Fluid Infusion?

Fluid Infusion is a JavaScript application framework for building
rich, reusable, and accessible user interfaces on the web. It includes
all the tools you need for building complex interactions, including
support for models and views, data binding, and unobtrusive markup
rendering. Infusion also includes a growing collection of components
that have been designed by a cross-disciplinary team and thoroughly
tested for usability and accessibility. By incorporating the Infusion
framework and components into your web application's user interface,
you will make your application easier to use by more people. Easier to
use means happier users.

Known Issues

An up-to-date listing of known issues with this release is available at:
   http://issues.fluidproject.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=10189

Help Us Build a Usable Web For Everyone

The Fluid Project is an open, collaborative community. Our goal is to
improve the user experience of open source web applications, so if you
are a designer or developer and want to help change the world,
consider getting involved! Fluid Infusion includes not only full
source code but also a design handbook that offers useful design,
accessibility, and usability strategies and documentation, all backed
by a growing community of interaction designers, user interface
experts, and software developers contributing a wealth of expertise in
usability and accessibility.

Many thanks to everyone in the community for their hard work and
support for this release!

Eli Cochran
eli at media.berkeley.edu

5. New Release of OpenSyllabus (version 9.4)

OpenSyllabus is about to enter its first Beta phase. Usability has
been highly improved. In the following weeks, teachers and other users
from the user advisory committee at HEC Montreal will start testing
the component we call OSYLEditor. Other parts of the project are in a
work-in-progress state at an alpha-level (OSYLAdmin, OSYLManager, etc.).

Get more information at:http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/confluence/display/OSYL/OpenSyllabus+Home

Thanks in advance!

Rémi Saïas
remi.saias at hec.ca
Gestion des technologies de l'information - HEC Montréal

6. Moving On -- Nathan Pearson

I'd like to let everyone know that, having wrapped up a large set of
wireframes that will be used for the "3akai" project that will form
the basis of Sakai 3, Nathan Pearson will be moving on from his work
with the Sakai Foundation.  He will be focusing more time on his
education as well as continuing his consulting practice.

The UX Improvement Project was created as a temporary initiative to
have an impact on the Sakai UX and the design community in Sakai.  At
this point the Sakai Foundation does not have plans to make a UX lead
a permanent position at the Sakai Foundation. We will continue to find
ways to improve the Sakai user experience and, equally importantly,
develop the Sakai UX community. If you have suggestions in this regard
please don't hesitate to contact me directly.

We'll be resuming the UX Working group meetings soon. Look for
something from either myself or Peter Knoop.

I'd like to thank Nathan for his work and for pointing us all in a
very promising direction for the Sakai User Experience, especially as
we look towards 3.0. We wish him good luck.

mkorcuska at sakaifoundation.org

7. rSmart Welcomes the Naval Postgraduate School to the Sakai Community

rSmart would like to welcome The Naval Postgraduate School (NPS) to
the Sakai Community as one of the most recent rSmart Sakai CLE support
customers. NPS, in Monterey, California, is a postgraduate educational
institution with an enrollment of 2,500 students from the US Military,
Department of Defense, Homeland Security, and allied foreign military
and government officials. NPS provides top-quality, relevant and
unique advanced education and research programs to increase combat
effectiveness of the Naval Service, other Armed Forces of the US and
our partners to enhance our national security.

NPS is implementing the rSmart Sakai CLE to improve the educational
effectiveness of its growing distributed learning enrollment by giving
faculty members more flexibility in how they conduct their distributed
learning classes. Additionally, Sakai is being used to help NPS
researchers coordinate their collaborative research efforts with other
educational institutions and Department of Defense organizations.
rSmart, through its configuration and implementation process, assisted
NPS in installing an instance of Sakai that met all functional and
security requirements. "rSmart's expertise was instrumental in
configuring our Sakai instance in a way that balanced our
functionality and security concerns. With their help and support, we
are able to more quickly deliver a more functional instance of Sakai
than we otherwise would have been able to," says Jon Russell, Manager
of Educational Technologies for NPS.

NPS is also working with rSmart on a project involving the Kuali
Financial System.

Mike Zackrison
mike.zackrison at rsmart.com
www.rsmart.com

8. Sakai 3 RC 1 -- Development Update

I just wanted to send out a note in order to inform everyone that I
have done a major update of the K2 (agnostic) development server.

This is sort of interesting because it shows Nathan's latest/last set
of wireframes coming alive. The URL is:

http://131.111.21.17:9090/

You can create your own account by following the link on the login
page. Do keep in mind that this is very much a moving target and that
some things will not work. Also, all of the data will be removed every
time I do a redeploy.

You might also think that the current visual design is less appealing
than the blue Sakai (http://3akai.sakaiproject.org), but keep in mind
that these are only wireframes (which conceptually make more sense
than the blue ones) and that visual design will be applied later on.

Some links will point back to the blue design, which will then contain
links to another blue page, s it is easy to get lost right now and you
should always attempt to get back to the grey design (http://131.111.21.17:9090/dev/redesign/
).

It's also worth noting that all of the HTML has been reverted (and
this is still very much in progress) to use the Fluid Skinning System.

For the people who would like to have more detail --

The things that should be working are:

- Registration
- Dashboard (+ reordering, changing layout, adding/removing widgets)
- Some Dashboard widgets
- Search for people
- My contacts
- Invite people to become a contact + accept
- Some of the top bar functionality
- Upload your avatar
- Create a site

- Content authoring
- Create a page
- Edit a page
- Insert a widget (+ some example widgets)
- New WYSIWYG edit experience
- Auto-save
- Page hierarchy
- Sidebar control
- Version History of pages
- edit HTML
- Preview mode
- Move a page
- Save and use page templates
- Pretty print your page

The things that still need doing:

- User preferences page
- Sending/receiving internal messages
- Profile + Edit profile
- Search for content
- Search for sites
- Widgets + File management - IM

- Content Authoring / Site Management:
- Page specific permissions
- Dashboard pages
- Edit Site Settings
- Site member management
- Site appearance management

Don't hesitate to ask any questions though and try not to hit the
server all at once! Over the next weeks things will be added from time
to time, although we will have to base them on prototyped back-end
functionality sometimes given the current state of K2.

Kind regards,

Nicolaas Matthijs
nicolaas.matthijs at caret.cam.ac.uk
CARET
University of Cambridge

9. rSmart Webinar:  ePortfolios -- The Impact on Learning and Assessment

Join us for a Webinar on April 21, 11:00 AM - 12:00 PM PDT (GMT -7)

Research suggests that the use of open source portfolio tools can have
a significant impact on student learning and be used effectively as
one component within programmatic and institutional assessment
processes according to a recent article published in the MERLOT
Journal of Online Learning and Teaching.

The question then becomes, how can your institution start using open
source portfolio software? Come join rSmart and Serensoft, two experts
in ePortfolios, to learn about using Sakai's open source portfolio
capabilities for your ePortfolio project. The rSmart / Serensoft
ePortfolio solution combines rSmart expert Sakai support and
maintenance program with Serensoft's leading ePortfolio expertise.
Together, we can jumpstart any ePortfolio project quickly and
efficiently and cost-effectively support it for the long term.

Topics to be covered:

- Brief overview of research compiled in the "The Impact of Open
Source Portfolio on Learning and Assessment" article published in the
MERLOT Journal

- Introduction to Sakai's powerful ePortfolio capabilities

- Demonstration of the three types of portfolios commonly used by
campuses, including: personal representation, teaching and learning,
and assessment and accreditation

- Recommendations for how to get started with Sakai for ePortfolios

- How rSmart and Serensoft are working together to make ePortfolios easy

To view the article in full, please go to: http://jolt.merlot.org/vol4no4/cambridge_1208.pdf

To register: https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/790625545

Thanks!  Meg

Megan Perrone
Marketing Representative
megan.perrone at rsmart.com

10. New URL -- Sakai Conference Bridges

The Sakai Conference Bridge Schedule, previously hosted on the old
Collab instance of Sakai, has been moved to Confluence:

http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/confluence/x/LYAvAw

I moved over many of the existing events, however, please double-check
that I didn't accidently overlook your event.  Also note that your
initial view of the schedule may be in Pacific time (GMT-0800), the
server's default.  You can change your time zone preference by
clicking on the name of the time zone in the upper-left corner of the
calendar.

The Conference Bridge schedule is composed of three separate
schedules, one for each bridge. (Thanks to Indiana University for
supplying the bridges for the community's use!)  The schedules are
color-coded according to the key on the right-hand side of calendar.
Sakai001 (red) is preferred for regularly scheduled, recurring
meetings, while Sakai002 (blue) and Sakai003 (purple) are preferred
for first-come-first-serve ad-hoc meetings.

Other key community-wide conference calls that are not currently using
the Sakai Bridges are also listed on the schedule under "Other
Conference Systems."  Please contact the meeting organizers for their
connection information.

I've also added holidays to the schedule using Apple's iCal feed.  I'm
not sure how inclusive this is of all the major holidays observed by
various members of the Sakai community around the world. If anyone
knows of a better iCal feed, please let me know.

Also, as a reminder, the connection info for the Sakai Conference
Bridges is as follows:

The Conference Bridges support both Internet (e.g., Polycom, XMeeting
[for MacOS], Ekiga [Linux, Windows]) and telephone connections:

Telephone: +1 812 856 7060
Internet: 156.56.240.9

Meeting Sign-in Information (via telephone or Internet):

Sakai001
- Conference Code: 348#
- PIN: 72524#

Sakai002
- Conference Code: 350#
- PIN: 72524#

Sakai003
- Conference Code: 386#
- PIN: 72524#

Peter Knoop
knoop at umich.edu
Sakai Project Coordinator

11. Sakai Security Policy

I'd like to remind all Sakai list participants that should you ever
uncover what you believe to be security vulnerability in Sakai
software that you refrain from voicing your concerns on any public
listserv, blog or other open communication channel. Instead please
notify the Sakai Foundation immediately at the following email address:

security at sakaifoundation.org

Please describe the issue you have encountered and include a callback
telephone number so that we can contact you by telephone if it
necessary. Secondly, if you have a Jira account and choose to file a
Jira bug report on a possible security vulnerability, please be sure
to flag it as a security issue by selecting "security issue" from the
security level dropdown as well as clicking the security issue filter
flag.  Your concerns will be addressed by the Sakai Community's
Security Working Group (WG).

Bear in mind that the integrity and security of existing Sakai
installations can be compromised by the premature public disclosure of
security threats. Voicing specific security concerns in public should
be avoided at all times.

Sakai Security Contacts

The Sakai Foundation encourages institutions and organizations that
adopt Sakai software to consider contacting the Foundation and
providing the name(s) and contact details of one or more individuals
to serve as security contacts. Security contact information should be
emailed to security at sakaifoundation.org.

Sakai security contacts receive security alerts via private channels
in order to allow them time to patch their Sakai installation ahead of
any public disclosure. Designated security contacts are also provided
access rights to view, comment and address issues flagged as security
items in Sakai's JIRA issue tracking application. We do not grant
access to these JIRA items lightly and we verify the identity and role
of each person who is designated as a security contact.

Sakai Security Policy Document

The Sakai Community's security policy is more fully described in the
document, "Sakai Security Policy (version 3.1)," a minor revision of
version 3.0, originally released on 11 April 2007.  Please review the
document, which is available at:

http://www.sakaiproject.org/portal/site/sakai-home/page/d0a38582-64a1-4095-bde0-f78d7d1dbb25

It can be downloaded from:

http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/confluence/display/DOC/Documentation

Anthony Whyte
arwhyte at umich.edu

12. Immediate Part-time/Temporary Opening for Sakai Developer
(Princeton, NJ)

My firm, Princeton, NJ-based Zargis Medical Corp., is a Siemens spin-
out focused on the development of software-based medical devices. We
are searching for a local individual (possibly an engineering or
computer science student), who is familiar with the Sakai course
management system and who is available, beginning immediately, for
10-20 weekly hours of Sakai development. For more information, or to
apply, contact Peter Hodge atphodge at zargis.com or 888-773-3669 (ext 23).

Peter Hodge
phodge at zargis.com

13. Recent Email Group Discussions

How to do tests with samigo without access to the rest of sakai  (dev
- Building Sakai)
http://n2.nabble.com/-Building-Sakai--How-to-do-tests-with-samigo-without-acces-to-the-rest-of-sakai-td2648622.html#a2648622

Building Sakai on MacOS X Server  (dev - Building Sakai)
http://n2.nabble.com/-Building-Sakai--Building-Sakai-on-MacOS-X-Server-td2654151.html#a2654151

LDAP bind error  (dev - Building Sakai)
http://n2.nabble.com/-Building-Sakai--LDAP-bind-error-td2653246.html#a2653246

KNL-155/SAK-16036/SAK-800: Resources archive filehandling issues  (dev
- Building Sakai)http://n2.nabble.com/-Building-Sakai--KNL-155-SAK-16036-SAK-800%3A-Resources-archive-file-handling-issues-td2648407.html#a2648526

User Providered IDs and LDAP and ? (dev - Building Sakai)
http://n2.nabble.com/-Building-Sakai--User-Providered-IDs-and-LDAP-and---td2648472.html#a2648525

SAKAI and LDAP  (dev - Building Sakai)
http://n2.nabble.com/-Building-Sakai--SAKAI-and-LDAP-td2625996.html#a2625996

Localizing tools descriptions & titles ins 2.6.x  (dev - Building Sakai)
http://n2.nabble.com/Localized-Tool-Descriptions-td1075483.html#a1075483

Clear Selected Portfolio Form   (Portfolio)
http://n2.nabble.com/-Portfolio--Clear-Selected-Portfolio-Form-td2629180.html#a2629180

Sakai Product Council Nominations   (Portfolio)
http://n2.nabble.com/Sakai-Product-Council-Nominations-td2592208.html#a2592208

Portfolio comment links   (Portfolio)
http://n2.nabble.com/-Portfolio--Portfolio-comment-links-td2616425.html#a2616425

OSP Reports   (Portfolio)
http://n2.nabble.com/-Portfolio--OSP-Reports-td2574962.html#a2599093

Test & quizzes - QTI 1.2 XML import/export - Respondus 3.5  (User
Experience - Using Sakai )
http://n2.nabble.com/Test---quizzes---QTI-1.2-XML-import-export---Respondus-3.5-td2115442.html#a2646500

Fluid Infusion 1.0 Release  (dev - Building Sakai, User Experience)
http://n2.nabble.com/-Building-Sakai--Fluid-Infusion-1.0-Release-td2614203.html#a2614203

Soliciting response to 3akai locally  (User Experience)
http://n2.nabble.com/-DG%3A-User-Experience--Soliciting-response-to-3akai-locally-td2600701.html#a2600701

Wiki's and Sakai (dev - Building Sakai, sakai-user Using Sakai,
pegagogy)
http://n2.nabble.com/-Using-Sakai--Wiki%27s-and-Sakai-td2571483.html#a2571483

marking assignments & TT&S and storing in Gradebook   (User - Using
Sakai)
http://n2.nabble.com/-Using-Sakai--marking-assignments---TT-S-and-storing-in-Gradebook-td2634116.html#a2634339

SCORM in Sakai  (User - Using Sakai)
http://n2.nabble.com/Sakai-and-Scorm-td1460599.html#a1460599

14.  Events

Etudes Users' Summit
April 23-24, 2009
Doubletree Hotel @ LAX
Los Angeles, California
http://etudes.org/summit.htm

2nd European Sakai Conference
May (4)-5-6, 2009
Stockholm University
Stockholm, Sweden
http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/confluence/display/CNF/European+Regional+Conference+in+Stockholm+2009

eLearning Africa
May 27- 29, 2009
Le Meridien President
Dakar, Senegal
www.elearning-africa.com.

2009 MoodleMoot San Francisco and 2nd Sloan-C Symposium on Emerging
Technology in Online Learning
June 17-19, 2009
Hyatt Regency San Francisco
San Francisco, California
http://moodlemoot.org/course/view.php?id=9
http://www.emergingonlinelearningtechnology.org/

10th Sakai Conference: Boston
July 8-10, 2009
Cambridge Hyatt
Cambridge, Massachusetts
http://www.sakaiproject.org/portal/site/sakai-news/page/04ed2fa2-77e2-40da-8100-e0a08b9fea15

AuSakai '09
September 17-18, 2009
Charles Sturt University Bathurst Campus
Bathurst NSW, Australia
http://www.csu.edu.au/division/landt/ausakai09/ausakai09.htm

Assessment Institute in Indianapolis
October 25-27, 2009
The Westin Indianapolis
Indianapolis, Indiana
http://www.planning.iupui.edu/institute

Online Educa Berlin 2009
December 2-4, 2009
Hotel InterContinental Berlin
Berlin, Germany
http://www.online-educa.com/the-conference

Here are email addresses to contact if you encounter problems with
various Sakai Community systems:

Collab -- collab-admins at umich.edu
Confluence -- confluence-admins at collab.sakaiproject.org
Jira -- jira-admins at collab.sakaiproject.org