[WG: Accessibility] Fwd: Sakai Accessibility in Forums

Matt Clare Matt.Clare at BrockU.CA
Tue Oct 22 18:03:45 PDT 2013

Hello Accessibility Group,

	I'm forwarding this inquiry with Merran's consent.  She is concerned about the Forums tool and screen reader navigation.  She's looking for practical navigation solutions that can be used "today" in Sakai CLE 2.9.1.  I mentioned Indiana University is working on some Grease Monkey scripts to improve the navigation, but it's a work in progress and requires adaption to each Sakai installation and is intended as an interim solution for Indiana University and a roadmap for Message Center developers.

	Any other "today" solutions for improving the complicated navigation of the Forums tool that is exacerbated through a screen reader?

	Thanks,

.\.\att

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Merran Neville <mneville at uwo.ca>
> Subject: Sakai Accessibility in Forums
> Date: 21 October, 2013 13:24:26 EDT
> To: <Matt.Clare at BrockU.ca>
> Cc: Merran Neville <mneville at uwo.ca>
>
> Hello Matt,
>
> We have received a complaint from a councillor in the Western University office of Services for Students with Disabilities about the inaccessibility of the Forums tool.  The staff member is working with a student who lives in Windsor and is taking a distance course.  The student is blind and uses JAWS to "read" the course content.  The student is also a teacher of the blind and uses JAWS so knows it very well.   Ironically, the course she is taking is "Teaching the Blind Part 1".
>
> As you know, JAWS uses the tab key to navigate but using the tab in Forums does not work well.  Navigating through the postings is virtually unreadable.  Do you or the Sakai Accessibility Working Group have any suggestions that we can pass along to the councillor for the student?
>
> Many thanks,
> Merran.
>
> --
> Merran Neville
> Information Technology Services
> Support Services Building room 4320
> The University of Western Ontario
> London, Ontario N6A 3K7
>
> Phone:  519-661-3976
> http://www.uwo.ca/its/
> http://itrc.uwo.ca/

  ::  Matt Clare
Manager, eLearning
  Centre for Pedagogical Innovation
Part-time Instructor
  Interactive Arts and Sciences
Brock University, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada
http://brocku.ca/pedagogical-innovation    905 688 5550 xt 4539   Office: SBH321