[WG: Accessibility] outstanding issues report 3

Silverio, Gonzalo gsilver at umich.edu
Wed Feb 24 07:16:15 PST 2010

Hi everyone,

Third report on working towards the goal of an accessibility bug free 2.7
release. See below for requests for clarification, lists of patches
submitted. Any input that clarifies issues listed in this and the other 2
reports is crucial to work getting done on them.

NOTE: I have ran across accessibility issues that simply have been closed by
the maintenance team. For example:

http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-11201

I will inform the maintenance team to refrain from doing this, as we are
working on these issues for 2.7

Thanks!

    -Gonzalo

Issues needing clarification
----------------------------

a) info that makes up for developer lack of knowledge on how screen readers
operate; b) description could use some more details/clarity; c) issue should
be reviewed again; d) some or all of the above.

http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-14459
http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-11676
http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-11671
http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-11659
http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-11670

Possible misunderstandings
--------------------------

http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-12822
Accessibility: Alert box notifying user error not announced to screen reader
users (Gradebook)

This is one of several issues of its type. User performs and action that
results in a post. The server response contains some info specific to the
action performed (an alert, for example). I think testers believe that there
is no roundtrip, just some client side activity (like validation) that
results in the new info. If this were the case passing the focus to the info
would be warranted, but it is not the case.

Submitted patches
-----------------

Patches needing reviewing and committing. Tool team members should be
notified so that they can take a look.

Chat
----

SAK-12189    Accessibility: Chat Edit options text not associated with radio
buttons

Help
----

SAK-15197    Accessibility: Unnecessary alt tags on help main page
SAK-15195    Accessibility: unlabeled form fields on help main page
SAK-15199    Accessibility: more headings needs in helpsearch results page
SAK-15200    Accessibility: Table summary needs for help search results