[WG: Accessibility] Accessibility] Access Keys list in Sakai

Eli Cochran eli at media.berkeley.edu
Tue Nov 3 07:06:23 PST 2009

I'll echo John's warning. Nice cautionary article that he linked to.

There are a number of problems with accelerator keys (short cuts) for
web apps
- adaptive software commenders just about every key available for its
own use
- platforms and browsers don't always use the same keys for things so
a particular key might be "free" on one browser but not on another
- users of adaptive software can, and do, customize their software by
mapping their own key combinations
- accelerator keys must be communicated to the user, learned and
remembered

So what's a poor developer to do?

As much as possible make all controls easy to navigate to, and use
clear and unique names and labels. The most common interaction (if
there is a *common* interaction for keyboard-only users) is to call up
a list of headers or links and navigate to them using the first few
letters of the header or link.

Support the most basic navigation keys, tab and arrow. Links and
controls are easily navigated using the tab key (note: different
browsers treat the tab key slightly differently, but usually have a
preference somewhere to "turn-on" the tab key to go to all controls).
Pages with a lot of links or controls make it very challenging to tab
through all of them to get to the one you want. You can manage this by
combining the tab key with the arrow key. Allow the user to tab to a
section of the page and then use the arrow keys to navigate to like-
controls with in that section. A good example is a table; tab to the
table and then use arrows to move up and down and across rows. (For
arrow key control, you'll need some Javascript... I suggest Fluid's
jquery.keyboard-a11y.js plug-in (docs: http://wiki.fluidproject.org/x/CIo7
, http://wiki.fluidproject.org/x/fYsk)

Think about the tab order; what elements are in the tab order, in what
order and where does the focus go after certain actions. Example: when
the page opens does the focus jump to a specific control or field
(note: this can very confusing to a non-sighted user because you may
have jumped over the very context that they need to understand the
page.) After a particular action do you jump the focus to a logical
place. Example: after a particular action put the focus on the undo
key, or after starting a process put the focus on the Stop key.

There are times when accelerators keys are very helpful and
appropriate. If there is an action that is done often, especially in a
context where the user uses the software often and is therefor vested
in learning the keys. Example: using the spacebar to start and stop
video. Example: a dedicated key that always jumps to the navigation.
Example: Del to delete an item or row.

And accelerators are almost always required in cases where the user is
typing text, as in an editor, to distinguish the commands from the
typed content. Accessible rich text editors must use accelerators or
escape keys. Best to make sure that your accelerators are as common
and consistent as possible. And again you have the burden of informing
the user that the keys exist.

- Eli