[samigo-team] Options for changes in FIB Numeric Question types

Roger Brown roger.brown at uct.ac.za
Wed Sep 18 04:52:26 PDT 2013

Hi all

This is a follow up to the discussion here http://collab.sakaiproject.org/pipermail/samigo-team/2013-July/000651.html

We've contracted Opencollab here in South Africa to develop a fix for the orphaning of answers in our db.

For the MCQ, MCS, and EMI they are working on a fix that will allow for

1)      Text changes in the questions and answers

2)      Changes to the question score

3)      Change the correct answer (for example: changing the correct answer from A to B - if A had incorrectly been set as the correct answer to the question when B was in fact correct)

But dis-allow the adding/removal of the number of answers  (ie going from ABCD to ABCDE)

However the fix for the FIB and Numeric question is not so straightforward.

It appears that the orphaning of answers in FIB and Numeric question types is a result of changing the number of {} in the question. Where the {} is stored as a part of the question, viz

mysql> select * from SAM_PUBLISHEDITEMTEXT_T where itemid=871912;
+------------+--------+----------+--------------+------------------------+
| ITEMTEXTID | ITEMID | SEQUENCE | TEXT         | REQUIRED_OPTIONS_COUNT |
+------------+--------+----------+--------------+------------------------+
|     933393 | 871912 |        1 | Roses are {} |                      1 |
+------------+--------+----------+--------------+------------------------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

I believe it would be inappropriate to have a blanket "no change" policy for these question types. So I'm hoping for a suggestion for an elegant solution/insight to how we deal with allowing changes to the text without allowing the removal/addition of an answer.

Regards
Roger
Roger Brown
Learning Technologies Operations Manager
Centre for Educational Technology
7.58 PD Hahn Building Upper Campus
University of Cape Town
Email/IM/XMPP roger.brown at uct.ac.za
Skype rjg.brown
Tel:+27(21) 650 4425

UNIVERSITY OF CAPE TOWN

This e-mail is subject to the UCT ICT policies and e-mail disclaimer published on our website at http://www.uct.ac.za/about/policies/emaildisclaimer/ or obtainable from +27 21 650 9111. This e-mail is intended only for the person(s) to whom it is addressed. If the e-mail has reached you in error, please notify the author. If you are not the intended recipient of the e-mail you may not use, disclose, copy, redirect or print the content. If this e-mail is not related to the business of UCT it is sent by the sender in the sender's individual capacity.