[samigo-team] Not swallowing DB errors (SAM-2080)

David Horwitz david.horwitz at uct.ac.za
Mon Mar 18 05:46:54 PDT 2013

Hi All,

I mailed the list last week about SAM-2080 (DAO errors are swallowed) and not reported to the user or via fault logging.  At that point it was mainly a theoretical error, in the interim we
have had a student claim to have had 2 answers in a test not be recorded. Under the circumstances its very hard for us to know the true case.

I've attached a patch to SAM-2080 that modified most of the DOA save methods in AssesmentGradingQueries to throw a newly defined SamigoDataAccessException. GradingService then rethrows these as RuntimeExceptions. This causes an error saving a student answer to get a portal error report - not ideal but at least the error isn't lost.

The desired behavior (in consultation with our support team) would be for the student to stay on the page they where trying to submit with an error message.

What are peoples thoughts on this?

UNIVERSITY OF CAPE TOWN

This e-mail is subject to the UCT ICT policies and e-mail disclaimer published on our website at http://www.uct.ac.za/about/policies/emaildisclaimer/ or obtainable from +27 21 650 9111. This e-mail is intended only for the person(s) to whom it is addressed. If the e-mail has reached you in error, please notify the author. If you are not the intended recipient of the e-mail you may not use, disclose, copy, redirect or print the content. If this e-mail is not related to the business of UCT it is sent by the sender in the sender's individual capacity.