[samigo-team] Correct behavior for editing published assessment with submissions

Stephen Marquard stephen.marquard at uct.ac.za
Mon Jul 8 08:16:54 PDT 2013

A quick query on our database shows orphaned answers for these item types:

| Multiple Choice         |
| Multiple Choice Survey  |
| Fill in Blank           |
| Numeric Response        |
| Extended Matching Items |

(the last one here is specific to our T&Q branch).

You can check this in your own db with the SQL:

select SAM_PUBLISHEDITEM_T.ITEMID, SAM_PUBLISHEDITEM_T.SECTIONID, SAM_PUBLISHEDITEM_T.TYPEID from SAM_ITEMGRADING_T INNER JOIN SAM_PUBLISHEDITEM_T ON SAM_ITEMGRADING_T.PUBLISHEDITEMID = SAM_PUBLISHEDITEM_T.ITEMID
WHERE PUBLISHEDANSWERID NOT IN (SELECT ANSWERID FROM SAM_PUBLISHEDANSWER_T);

By "orphaned answer" I mean that there is a student response with an ANSWERID that no longer exists for that published assessment, so the response is effectively meaningless (disconnected from its original context).

I saw this comment in https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAM-1457 which I would endorse:

"** Ultimately, we want a property to allow editing of question point values and/or correct responses, and subsequently to regrade and republish, without also allowing edits to the text of a published question when submissions have already occurred."

as the primary use-case for editing published assessments after submissions seems to be to change the grading rather than the question text or set of responses.

Cheers
Stephen

---
Stephen Marquard, Acting Director
Centre for Educational Technology, University of Cape Town
http://www.cet.uct.ac.za<http://www.cet.uct.ac.za/>
stephen.marquard at uct.ac.za<mailto:stephen.marquard at uct.ac.za>