[samigo-team] Replacing Java applet with HTML5/Flash

Sam Ottenhoff ottenhoff at longsight.com
Tue Feb 19 15:13:40 PST 2013

and I could get the audio to playback (though for some reason, I can't
> recreate it). I will put in a JIRA and talk to our dev team. And I'll talk
> to Ken and Christine, --not that we'd add something, but it needs to have
> similar behavior to java recorder. I do notes the recording window no
> longer closes after upload, did that get removed.

Yeah, I removed the popup closing while I was doing more dev on it.  The
HTML5 recorder offers a timer, Flash fallback, attempt tracking, frequency
display, and only changes a few files in Samigo.  I believe Java on the
desktop is dead.  My recommendation would be to get a replacement intro
trunk sooner than later, but if Stanford is committed to the Java applet,
please let us know so I can get this work into a branch.

> So are you creating just a wav file, or are you creating an mp3 as well so
> this can play on IE without a plugin? And your flash version of the applet
> creates the same file type(s)?

MP3 encoding is a patented process AFAIK.  Maybe there is a Flash fallback
to play the WAV in IE.  if not, the Quicktime embed should continue to work
with a little mime-type manipulation.

The Flash version of the recorder creates the same raw, uncompressed audio.
 AFAIK, WAV and AU and AIFF are all the same thing (just different mime
types).  Any audio experts lurking?

--Sam