[samigo-team] EMI's

Neal Caidin neal.caidin at apereo.org
Fri Dec 6 13:34:29 PST 2013

Hi Jaques,

I tried it out. It looks pretty good to me. It seems like the main need is that this allows the instructor more flexibility in designing the matching. Instead of a one-to-one match you have, potentially a many-to-many. Each question can have more than one match, and each match can be used more than once. I can imagine use cases for this.

The scoring makes sense, but I did have to click the help link when I tried to put a total point value in and it would not let me (because it is the sum of the score for the parts of the question). That was not completely intuitive. And it looks like when I was answering as a student, it did not provide instructions on how to encode my answer. And the encoding is not something I expected, a straight list of the letters representing matching choices, not delimited by anything, no spaces, no commas. I got used to it, and it is pretty efficient. I think the “standard” is more to have answers separated by commas or spaces though? I’m taking a Coursera course and Coursera uses spaces between answers (of course they are numeric answers which obviously require delimiters or the numbers would run together, whereas in matching that is not an issue). At a minimum, instructions for the students are needed though.

I also wonder if it makes sense to have two different matching question types, or if there is a way to generalize the one you have created so it can also take the place of the regular “Matching” question type?

Those are my initial thoughts. It does look pretty cool to me overall.

Cheers,
Neal

Neal Caidin
Sakai Community Coordinator