[samigo-team] SAKAI CLE Tests & Quizzes

lub_fmb_sakaiadmin sakai.admin at ttuhsc.edu
Wed Sep 26 10:50:57 PDT 2012

Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center (TTUHSC) has recently begun using SAKAI CLE. We have encountered a number of issues with the Test & Quizzes tool and wondered if you had experienced any of the same.

*         After giving an exam, an instructor edited the questions to make corrections, saved, republished/regraded. After the regrade several students, who had initially received scores, had their scores changed to 0. During our testing, we noticed that with each edit/republish/regrade cycle (in which no changes were actually made to the exam) those students with 0 scores would have their scores restored and a completely different set of students would have their scores taken away and replaced by zero. We have found no commonality between the sets of students, they seem to be 'chosen' at random.

*         We've also seen inconsistent grading of exams without the exam being edited.  We had an  exam where the students had identical answers.  When the exam was graded, one student received a perfect score while another student only received 80% of the available points for the exam.  There is no discernible difference between the two exams.

*         During an exam of approximately 150 students using Respondus Lockdown Browser (LDB), we had approximately 10% of students experience a blank screen at some point during the exam.  The exam proctor had to exit the exam and the student had to relaunch the LDB, log back in to SAKAI and re-enter the exam.  Because this was  a timed exam, the student lost the time that it took to complete this process.

*         During an exam of approximately 150 students using  LDB, we had approximately 15% of students experience the following error either after clicking 'Next' to navigate to the next screen or on 'Submit for Grading'.
javax.servlet.ServletException: Error testing property 'formatByPart' in bean of type
javax.faces.webapp.FacesServlet.service (FacesServlet.java:209)
                com.corejsf.Uploadfilter.doFilter (Uploadfilter.java:139)
                org.sakaiproject.util.RequestFilter.doFilter (RequestFilter.java:659)
The student had to close the LDB, relaunch, log back in to SAKAI and re-enter the exam.  Because this was a timed exam, the student lost the time that it took to complete this process.

Have any other institutions encountered any of these? If so, how were they resolved?

Any advice or recommendations you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

TTUHSC Sakai Admin