[sakai2-tcc] Counting Tools

Neal Caidin nealcaidin at sakaifoundation.org
Fri May 3 10:00:17 PDT 2013

I think either query is better than no query. Nothing is going to be perfect. But now is not a bad time to capture data, at least for U.S. schools, since we would probably get a fair snapshot of tool use for Spring semester.

I lean towards the events query option because it will give us a better (not perfect) view of what is actually used, vs just what happens to be deployed in the sites. In my experience, most instructors do not change whatever tools are deployed by default in their sites, but may use only a few of them.  I don't think we would ask DBA's to restore archived (truncated) data, just run with whatever is in production at the time.

Are there any performance risks with this query? Should we ask DBA's to run against a refreshed test instance instead, or off-hours?

Thanks,
Neal