[sakai2-tcc] Mobile browser support for CLE

Neal Caidin nealcaidin at sakaifoundation.org
Thu Mar 21 05:31:49 PDT 2013

Hi TCC,

We recently got in a question from a student about why doesn't Sakai have a mobile app? I answered the question like this:

"Thank you for your feedback! Mobile is certainly an important platform.

There is a mobile effort underway, which if you are interested you can read about it here - https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/MOBILE/Home

Now what this mobile effort does, is creates the infrastructure within Sakai CLE to allow institutions to create their own mobile-friendly applications, it does not, in and of itself create any apps. The reason for this is that Sakai is open source, there is no paid development staff to respond to requests, it depends upon volunteer efforts, so the question is, if a mobile app is made, who will fix it when it breaks? To-date it seems most institutions want to incorporate software like Sakai CLE within the context of their own mobile efforts, and this mobile effort is being led by a consortium of institutions who believe that is the best model to meet their needs. I hope that makes sense.

Have you tried using Sakai CLE on a mobile web browser? What is your experience with that, if you don't mind sharing?
"

Do you think my response was about on target?

Also, it got me thinking that we do not have ANY QA effort targeted for support of mobile browsers. Should we (assuming we could find the resources)?

Cheers,

Neal Caidin

Sakai CLE Community Coordinator
nealcaidin at sakaifoundation.org