[sakai2-tcc] Infrastructure discussion for future meeting?

Noah Botimer botimer at umich.edu
Wed Mar 13 09:26:42 PDT 2013

+1, nuanced, as usual:

I don't think we have to wait or do any more list curation or even voting. It can go like this pretty easily:

Someone mentions something that they are interested seeing fixed and can either lead or develop on. Others will either join up or say "nah, not so important to me, but X is -- anyone else in for X?".

It's really that simple.

We will either go breadth-first or depth-first depending on the amount of alignment -- but either is just fine so long as people are clear on what they're working on and what's important to them.

Please do not let us find that awful place where we try to tell people "no, don't work on what's most important to you -- work on this thing WE decided on; you're a team player, right?". If there is time and talent just waiting for any old project, hitching that wagon to someone working on a near and dear issue is the fastest and most effective way forward. Standing around, kicking the dirt, waiting for someone to act and point us all in one direction (and subsequently, grudgingly focusing locally) is how we've spent a lot of the past few years.

For a timely example of how this can work, take the Spring / Hibernate upgrades. They've been outstanding for a long time, but are now close to done. They need some more testing (specifically on Oracle) to build up a bit of confidence and a little conversation (by the TCC) to decide the right time to ask all developers to do full rebuilds. The priority was established by people speaking for the issue. Resource was applied by someone who agreed that it was a good initiative. Now comes a bit more coordination and we can call it done. Time to move to the next.

I suggest that these two from Dave's list can be tackled immediately with small net investment and would make good headway for operations:

> 5. Lack of support for database failover except through driver indirection.

First step: undo our weird binding to a very old DBCP and allow a real DataSource to be plugged in -- whatever pool or config you need. Second step: pick the Tomcat pool by default and document how to switch if you need something else (hint: should be very standard and basically link to JDK/Tomcat docs). Third step: add some better connection/query/transaction/request metrics that work OOTB so implementors can better see what's going on and decide what to do about it.

> 15. Lack of an asynchronous request system for long-running processes.

First step: retrace the steps done to integrate JMS / ActiveMQ (MessageService?) and decide if that's the right way to go. Second step: implement something basic and very standard. Third step: move some nasty bits like site duplication to the work queue and set up some good docs about how to queue (standard), query for status (standard), and update the user/browser (specific to our portal/notification services).

But anything anyone else is ready to work on would be just fine, too. Refactoring site-manage. Upgrading tools to JSF 2. Reducing session/state in tools. Thinking about a sane runtime configuration / control panel. Those are all long haul jobs but they start with the first commit.

Thanks,
-Noah