[sakai2-tcc] Infrastructure discussion for future meeting?

David Adams da1 at vt.edu
Tue Mar 12 08:08:33 PDT 2013

Agreed, JSF belongs on the comprehensive list. Make it #23, or include
it under #2. My main point was that we could keep listing these items
forever, and we can argue about how they're ranked or what else
belongs. But none are going to get fixed until someone either a lot of
resources or some level of community leadership takes the lead. No one
has "a lot of resources". So the TCC's leadership position is all
we've got.

I firmly believe that if there were specific, clearly defined
improvements proposed to be tackled in discrete projects led by expert
TCC members, it would be a lot easier to recruit resources from the
community. I feel certain that if I told my boss and our dev manager
that there was a project underway to fix something like the back
button and tab issues in even just a single tool, they would support
giving over some, and perhaps a lot, of our local developers' time. But
so long as there's no leadership from the technical experts, it will
never happen. The *last* thing management would be willing to do would
be to dedicate 500 hours of developer time to a locally-spearheaded
improvement that might not make it into the next release, or any release.

-dave