[sakai2-tcc] [Building Sakai] Assignments 2

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Wed Mar 6 10:55:36 PST 2013

I agree that this was the sentiment of the room. There were more a lot of
*ayes* in that room for this motion, however nobody either technical,
 non-technical or willing to fund any effort to push this forward. And in
the 9 months until today (until a question was asked on a related
Assignment bug) no mention really of it anywhere.

I believe that many of the tools could use either some "stellar
refactoring" (As Noah Botimer wrote) or moving toward
deprecation/replacement. There just hasn't been movement on anything on
that front for years in many of the core tools.

Generally Assignment (and other legacy Sakai tools) work great if you don't
hit the back button, don't open more than 1 tab and don't have a site with
more than ~100 users in it. This is the typical test case, but in the real
world these problems are becoming more and more of a real world issue with
Sakai usage. The only reason Assignment is on the front burner is because
there has been a nearly viable replacement to fix some of these problems
that has existed out there for years, whereas there isn't anything to deal
with rwiki, chat, mailarchive or content.

Though it's possible the solution (Assignment 2) is just as old and has as
many issues now as the tool it was intending to replace (Assignment). I
don't have enough experience with either to make that call yet. Some might
call the RSF a big -1 against it (a framework that only Sakai uses and is
essentially in maintenance mode) or the another tool using the 4 year old
version of hibernate a danger (the majority of slow queries in our logs are
from hibernate tools). But I think what's more important is the user
experience (what is missing or improved) and the current load test
performance, two things as a community we seem to have a hard time
producing.