[sakai2-tcc] Make ECL 2.0 license easily available with the License Maven Plugin

Matthew Buckett matthew.buckett at it.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jun 24 07:47:49 PDT 2013

The license-maven-plugin allows you to check for files that are
missing licenses and optionally add them.

http://mojo.codehaus.org/license-maven-plugin/

Although the ECL 2.0 isn't one of the licenses it supports out of the
box, you can have it look for the license in your project. However
when you have several artifacts all licensed under the ECL you end up
with duplicate files all over the place. To work around this the
license-maven-plugin supports getting it's licenses from a maven
artifact and we use this locally. However it could well be useful to
other people and I was wondering if it would be possible to have an
"official" release of this maven artifact under the
org.sakaiproject.license groupId. I'm not at this point suggesting we
use this plugin on the main codebase.

Currently there is a copy of this maven artifact in:
https://github.com/ColinHebert/Sakai-License

Could we:

1. Transfer ownership of the Github project from ColinHebert to sakaiproject.
2. Update the pom.xml to reflect the new source location.
3. Deploy a release to oss.sonatype.org
4. If it all looks ok post notes about how to use the license plugin
to sakai-dev.

Then any project can use the license-maven-plugin with to check that
all files are correctly licensed:

				<plugin>
					<groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>
					<artifactId>license-maven-plugin</artifactId>
					<version>1.5</version>
					<configuration>
						<licenseName>ecl2_license</licenseName>
						<licenseResolver>classpath://org/sakaiproject/license</licenseResolver>
						<extraExtensions>
							<sql>mysql</sql>
						</extraExtensions>
						<addJavaLicenseAfterPackage>false</addJavaLicenseAfterPackage>
					</configuration>
					<dependencies>
						<!-- The ECL isn't in the main plugin codebase -->
						<dependency>
							<groupId>org.sakaiproject.license</groupId>
							<artifactId>ecl-2</artifactId>
							<version>1.0</version>
						</dependency>
					</dependencies>
					<executions>
						<execution>
							<goals>
								<goal>check-file-header</goal>
							</goals>
							<phase>process-sources</phase>
						</execution>
					</executions>
				</plugin>

I'm happy todo the work for this.

--
  Matthew Buckett, VLE Developer, IT Services, University of Oxford