[sakai2-tcc] Versioning question

Bryan Holladay holladay at longsight.com
Tue Jun 18 09:48:22 PDT 2013

Only a matter of time before {name}-wow is suggested during any version
conversation :)

I wanted to add another note in the positive column.  We are struggling
with going from 2.x to 4.x because we have to argue that the next release
will be breakthrough enough to merit such a major version change.  If we
keep the same 3 digit versioning system, we'll run into this same rut for
the next version we jump to.  If we move to the 2 digit version (4.1, 4.2,
5.0, ...) then we won't have to feel like there must be an earth shattering
change that merits a major release version update.  This would better
represent Sakai's true development cycle of incremental changes that, when
added together, equals a large step forward, as opposed to giants leaps
following by minor changes, which our current versioning suggests.

-Bryan