[sakai2-tcc] Proposal: eliminate all indies, re-version trunk to CLE 4.0

David Adams da1 at vt.edu
Tue Jun 18 06:31:17 PDT 2013

I strongly support the idea to move to "4.0" and go with 4.1 and 4.2
as patch releases. If there's a transition to Github and a focus on
new ways of doing things, then going to a new version number is the
right move to communicate that. Couple that with "3.0" being a major
confusion-generator, and 4.0 is the right choice.

> We just got the community to be mostly on the same release - we tell leading schools to plan for
> an upgrade from 2.9.2 to 4.0 next June - most will never upgrade as it will sound difficult and risky.
> We should be conservative and let next year be 2.10 (communicating clearly that this is an easy
> upgrade) and then take the bolder step two years from now.

I don't think this makes any sense. In any case, it can be gotten
around by making the upgrade easier than ever, and announcing that as
one of the improvements in 4.0. Moving to 3.0 or 4.0 will make no more
sense next year than it does now.

> With all that said, the 2.10 release is shaping up to be pretty impressive if all goes
> well.  It should have Mobile, Elastic Search, and Dashboard - all pretty impressive
> steps forward and bordering on a major version number in celebration of that cool progress.

All these changes scream for a new major version number, IMO. Fixing
mobile and search are huge improvements.

David Adams
Director, Systems Integration and Support
Virginia Tech Learning Technologies