[sakai2-tcc] TCC Vice Chair Nominations - Still Open

Berg, Alan A.M.Berg at uva.nl
Tue Jul 2 04:10:00 PDT 2013

Hi Jean-Francois,

The role of vice chair is to support the decision making process and facilitate the chair.

My general qualifications are Science and teaching based, a degree in Physics, two masters (microelectronics and computer engineering and experimental science) and a teaching qualification which is important when you want to support teaching with technology. I enjoy writing evidenced by the  numerous technical magazine articles.

My Sakai specific experience includes QA director for Sakai, supporting the writing of two community books on Sakai, a Sakai fellowship, and a shared TWSIA award. I enjoy interacting with students and bringing them closer to industrial standard technologies.

I strongly believe that the TCC is a place of action and not just words. In the last 12 months I have been involved in Security, supporting the implementation of the experience API (learning analytics),various conversations around help, MOOC's and lots of smaller actions. I chair the Dutch Sakai Council and few other minor committee's as well. A lot of the Sakai work is done has been done in my own time for some perverse belief in the values of community source software and the company within that community.

My day time job is to help grow innovative new services around ICT at the University of Amsterdam.

If I was running for a political post, rather than this neutral facilitating role, I would seek to ease the barriers between teaching and the technologies and between the hard workers at the center of the community and the people and organizations diffusing inwards. I believe there are real dangers in cliques and we should continued to seek new resources from new sources.

Regards,
           Alan

Alan Berg

Innovation working group
On the use of ICT in Education & Research
University of Amsterdam