[sakai2-tcc] Towards the Sakai CLE PMC

Charles Severance csev at umich.edu
Thu Feb 28 05:32:21 PST 2013

Just to be clear, when I referred to the Apache PMC documentation, I was only referring to the responsibility, scope, tasks, workflow, general policies, and approach to the Apache PMC.

The *legal* relationship between and Apache PMC members and Apache Non-Profit Corporation is a little weird and I am *not* recommending that be part of our PMC structure.

An Apache PMC in general is the top governing body for a project - particularly in technical matters.  The Apache board does not assert any technical or procedural control over projects except that the projects operate within the relatively wide scope of acceptable policies set by the board.

By us become a PMC we make it clear that there we won't be waiting for some *other* Sakai CLE governing body to be formed above us.

Apereo from the beginning has been pitched as the "Apache for higher Ed" - we should follow their lead to the extent we can.  Like I said above - I think the legal connection between the Apache Corp and its PMC's is overkill - and has absolutely zero operational impact.

/Chuck