[sakai2-tcc] Lazy consensus proposal on CLE upgrade information survey

Neal Caidin nealcaidin at sakaifoundation.org
Tue Feb 5 09:02:22 PST 2013

Hi TCC,

I'm not sure if I'm doing this lazy consensus thing right, but here goes.

Survey from last year - http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/38PWRKG
Survey for this year - http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?PREVIEW_MODE=DO_NOT_USE_THIS_LINK_FOR_COLLECTION&sm=k9jAoowiQWlWZBMtA16M6SqcHghw9Q3O30D92kXEwCU%3d

The main question I've been trying to figure out is whether to include a question about the frequency of upgrades. It seems like a useful piece of information to have. As I was going through the process to think about it's inclusion, it occured to me that it would be important to know Why an institution chooses to upgrade with a particular frequency. It also occured to me that there might not be a set frequency that is used for each upgrade and upgrade timing might vary based on a number of factors. For these reasons, it seems to me like this kind of information might be best gathered by talking with the schools directly or some other means.

My rationale for deploying the survey as it is written now:

* It seems to me to be a short well-defined survey is more likely to get a high response rate from the community
* This survey is almost the same as the survey last year, which had a good return rate
* If we plan to ping the community on a semi-regular basis, it would be good to establish credibility that our surveys are "tight", don't take long to answer and add value to the community
* Some of the additional questions raised by the TCC might make sense for inclusion on additional surveys or by exploring alternative means of gathering the data.

Thanks,

Neal Caidin

Sakai CLE Community Coordinator
nealcaidin at sakaifoundation.org