[sakai2-tcc] Summary of Tools Survey comments

Neal Caidin neal.caidin at apereo.org
Tue Aug 20 12:17:33 PDT 2013

Hi TCC,

I found summarizing the Survey comments challenging. I hope it proves valuable.

Here's what I've got so far:

http://bit.ly/12mzgMn

Here are my questions about it:

1) Is it "good enough"?  I think it is, though not sure about that arbitrary column I added called "Calculation". More about that in a minute

2) This probably needs a Legend added. You'll notice I have a Positive - Kudos column, but no Negative column. This is because anything that could be perceived as negative, I tried to categorize more specifically what the feedback is.

Legend:

Development resources - we did not ask for volunteers, but one institution said that if other institutions were interested in putting effort behind Gradebook (Gradebook 1), they might throw in development resources too. I thought that was worthy of it's own column.

Performance concerns - broadly speaking. This includes not only performance under load, but also if the tool does not seem to be meeting institutional requirements.

Alternative Tool preference - for example, using Gradebook2 instead of Gradebook. Or using an external Syllabus tool instead of Sakai Syllabus, or even just posting Word/PDF docs instead of using tool at all.

Request for Feature or Bug fix	- sometimes specific requests, sometimes expressed as a general desire to see the features enhanced.

Information Only	- not positive, not negative, just informational. A large percentage of these turned out to be mentioning plans to try out/pilot a tool. Made me wonder if it warrants a separate column for "Planning to Pilot"?  I would have to go through the data again, but might be worth it.

High Use - comment specifically said that the tool was highly used

Low Use - comment specifically said that the tool is used sparsely

calculation - I made up this formula to see if it might indicate the relative interest level in the tool. = Total comments for a tool - Low use - Alternative tools - Performance concerns = interest level in keeping the tool/ further development? See what you think. Not sure if we should keep this column. Was done as an intellectual exercise. For the most dramatic example of how this might normalize the data, see the Chat tool. Lots of comments, but mostly negative vs Lessons which has lots of comments but mostly positive.

I know this a busy time, but if you have about 10 minutes to spare to look at the data and think about it, that would be cool (I know that is asking a lot right now.)

Thanks,
Neal

Neal Caidin
Sakai CLE Community Coordinator